Skip links and keyboard navigation

Youth boot camps

In early 2013, the former government began a trial of 2 types of boot camps that aimed to keep young people out of trouble and detention. They were:

  • early intervention youth boot camps, for teenagers at risk of long-term offending
  • sentenced youth boot camp, for teenagers who
    • had a history of offending and were facing detention
    • were from Townsville and had 3 or more motor vehicle offences.

In August 2015, we received an evaluation of the youth boot camp trial. We decided we would end the trial because of the report's findings.

Our youth boot camp trial ended in October 2015.

Ongoing support for those involved

If your child was part of the youth boot camp trial, we will give them other support and programs to help them to continue with positive behaviours and become part of their community. Your family will also be supported.

Our youth justice workers will:

  • work with your child to reinforce the need to think through their actions and make better choices
  • help you and your child address the things that could contribute to future anti-social behaviour.

We will use the things we learnt from the youth boot camp evaluation to develop and implement new programs and practices to reduce future offending.

Complain about a youth boot camp

You or your child can make a complaint about anything that affected them when they participated in a youth boot camp program. The complaint will remain confidential, however a few people will need to know the details so they can investigate.

Who to tell

You can choose how you make your complaint and who you tell.

Youth justice officers

You can complain to us by contacting any youth justice officer in person or in writing. The officer will try to help you resolve the complaint and talk to their supervisor about it.

Some complaints may be referred to a regional director. If the director needs more information, officers might talk to you, your child, or other people involved in the problem.

There are youth justice centres across the state.

Office of the Public Guardian

The Office of the Public Guardian makes sure the concerns of young people are listened to and considered seriously.

You or your child can make a complaint directly to the Office of the Public Guardian by:

Reporting a crime

If your complaint is about criminal behaviour, you can also report a crime or contact a legal representative.

If you or your child needs a lawyer, you can contact:

  • Legal Aid on 1300 651 188
  • the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service on 1800 012 255.

More information

Last updated
14 December 2016
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.