Careers in custodial operations
We employ professional, administrative and operational staff in custodial operations. They are all part of a team responsible for the:
- management of prisons
- supervision of prisoners in the courts
- transportation of prisoners.
Custodial Correctional Officer
As a Custodial Correctional Officers (CCO), you are the eyes and ears on the inside, at the frontline of custodial operations. You will:
- monitor and maintain the security of the correctional environment
- supervise and provide services to prisoners on a daily basis
- play a crucial role in the rehabilitation of prisoners.
As a CCO, you will work in some of the most modern and technologically advanced prisons in the world.
The first 12 months as a CCO
You must complete the 10 week Custodial Officers Entry Program (COEP), and pass written and physical assessments.
After you complete the COEP, you must also successfully complete the Certificate III in Correctional Practice (Custodial) course within 12 months of appointment. This is a work-based training and assessment program.
Opportunities for Professional Development
We encourage career development and offer training programs such as:
- Certificate IV in Correctional Practice
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
- Diploma in Correctional Administration
- Advanced Diploma in Correctional Management.
Salary levels and employment conditions can be found in the current Award and Certified Agreement.
Recruitment and requirements
Recruitment for custodial operations staff is managed by Manpower Group Recruitment.
Find more information on the recruitment process and requirements on the Manpower Group website.
Other roles in Custodial Operations
Other vacancies are advertised at www.smartjobs.qld.gov.au under the Department of Justice and Attorney-General.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. We encourage:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- people with disabilities
- people from non-English speaking backgrounds
to apply for positions.
All our facilities are tobacco and smoke free.
All staff are required to observe the Code of Conduct.