Appointing a real estate agent (buyer's agent)

When you a buy a property, you may want to use a real estate agent. Real estate agents most often represent sellers, but you can still hire one to be a buyer’s agent.


You must fill in the Appointment of a property agent, resident letting agent or property auctioneer (PDF, 188KB) form to appoint an agent.

This form will set out:

  • what services the agent will do
  • any limits or conditions on these services
  • all commissions, fees and expenses for the services
  • the due date for you to pay the commission, fees and expenses.

Real estate agents must have a licence to work in Queensland.

Agent’s duties

A buyer’s agent can:

  • find suitable properties for you
  • negotiate with the seller for you
  • do background checks on the property and area
  • bid for you at an auction.

Problems or disputes

If you have a dispute with your agent, you can follow these 3 steps:

Talk to the agent

Put your complaint in writing directly to the agent. Explain the problem and what you want the agent to do to fix it.

If they accept your complaint and fix the problem, you don’t have to take the matter any further.

Talk to the industry body

If your agent rejects your complaint, you can still take it further. An option might be to contact the Real Estate Institute of Queensland (REIQ) for advice. The REIQ may be able to help, but only if your agent is a member.

If this fixes the problem, you don’t have to take it any further.

Make a formal complaint

If you still have no success, you can contact us to make a formal complaint.

You may also be able to make a claim for compensation if you’ve suffered a financial loss.