Skip links and keyboard navigation

Permission to be represented in a QCAT matter

Usually, parties involved in Queensland Civil and Administative Tribunal (QCAT) matters must represent themselves. The tribunal will only allow you to be represented by someone else if it is in the interest of justice.

You can apply for permission to be represented by a lawyer or someone else who acts on your behalf, e.g. an advocate for a person with impaired capacity.

This is form 56 under the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2009.

Who can use this form

If you are an applicant, respondent or an active party in a proceeding before QCAT you can use this form.

Who can’t use this form

Entities wanting permission to be represented by a lawyer or government legal officer should not fill in this form.

If you are an entity (e.g. a state government agency, corporation, association, partnership or trust) and you can only appear in QCAT through a specified person, you should write to us, setting out:

  • the parties’ names
  • the case number
  • the name and position of the person you want to appear for you
  • the reasons why QCAT should give that person permission to appear on your behalf.

People who don’t need permission

Some parties can be represented without asking for our permission. You don’t need to ask for permission if you’re a:

  • person with impaired capacity
  • child
  • party to a disciplinary proceeding, including a review of a disciplinary decision
  • party to a proceeding where a law or rule states you can be represented.

How to complete this form

To complete this form you’ll need:

  • your case number
  • the respondent’s name (if applicable)
  • your representative’s contact details.

What happens next

This form will submit to QCAT electronically. Your application is not filed until we seal it (i.e. stamp it with the official QCAT stamp). We will email you a sealed copy at the address you provide.

You must serve (or give) a sealed copy of your application to each party as soon as possible.

If your application relates to a guardianship matter, you don’t need to serve each active party.

The tribunal will consider your application and all parties will be notified of the decision in writing.

Legal advice

You should seek legal advice about your rights relating to this matter.

Contact us

You can contact the QCAT registry by:

  • emailing
  • phoning 1300 753 228
  • visiting Level 9, 259 Queen Street, Brisbane
  • posting to GPO Box 1639, Brisbane QLD 4001.

Protecting your privacy

We collect your contact details to ensure QCAT proceedings comply with the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2009. We may contact you to help evaluate QCAT operations. You do not have to participate in feedback or surveys. If you do participate, no identifying information will be published. We will not disclose your contact details or any other personal information to a third party unless required by law.

Last updated
4 July 2016
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.