Information you can access
In 1856, Queensland started compulsory registration of life events. We keep records of life events (births, deaths and marriages) that took place in Queensland between 1829 and present day.
It is free to search historical records online. You can then buy a:
- historical registration image for $22.00 (online PDF)
- historical source image for $22.00 (online PDF)
- historical certificate for $31.00 (standard postage included).
You do not need to provide proof of ID to purchase a historical record.
Historical records are:
- births that took place more than 100 years ago
- marriages that took place more than 75 years ago
- deaths that took place more than 30 years ago.
We also hold some historical church records for:
- baptisms and burials between 1829 and 1856
- church marriages between 1839 and 1856
- marine birth and death records until 1920
- death records for service personnel who enlisted in Queensland for World War I and World War II.
How we offer historical records
You can buy Queensland historical records as:
- an image of the original register (if available) that you can view, download or print from your own computer. Sign in to QGov online so that you can download purchases at a later date or save purchases you have paid for
- a certificate printed on historical paper that we post to you.