Archived records online
We have reduced the time it takes to process your certificate and historical record orders through improvements to our online ordering and identity management systems.
Registering a birth, death or marriage has been compulsory in Queensland since 1856. We now have images of all registers we hold, as well as a large number of source documents—not all source documents will be available.
We do not store death source documents, as they are only needed for us to make sure the details in a death registration are correct.
Get started now and discover your family tree.
We are the custodians of Queensland's family history, responsible for recording, storing and making life event records available to you. Our archive of records is kept for you and future generations, whether you are an amateur historian researching your family tree or a professional genealogist.
What we did
The digitisation project:
- processed over 11 million images
- transcribed 2.5 million of the most requested records which affected over 6 million life events
- improved our service delivery
- reduced costs to you.
The benefits of digitisation include:
- preserving our records for future generations
- speeding up access to your family life events
- giving you a way to get information online and download images instantly
- improving exchange of information
- electronically validating birth, marriage and death records
- promoting better identity management.
We have digitised the images of source documents for the following Brisbane and country registrations and they will be available for sale online soon:
- marriage registrations from 1860 to 1940
- birth registrations from 1898 to 1915.
Find out about: