Skip links and keyboard navigation

Note a change of sex in a birth or adoption register

You can apply to note your sex change if you have had sexual reassignment surgery and your birth or adoption is registered with us.

Your new birth certificate will not state that your sex has changed, it will only show your sex after sexual reassignment surgery and state that your birth has been re-registered.

Learn more about changing your name.

Rules for noting your change of sex

To note your change of sex, you must:

  • be at least 18—a child's parents or guardians can apply with court approval (in certain circumstances one parent or guardian can apply)
  • have 2 doctors complete the statutory declaration sections of the application form confirming your surgery. We may accept a recognition certificate in place of the 2 doctors' statutory declarations
  • return your old certificate to use for replacement, if you have one.

How to apply

To note your change of sex, you need to:

  1. Read and understand the rules above.
  2. Download, print and fill in the note a change of sex application form.
  3. Get your supporting documents certified by a Justice of the Peace or another authorised person.
  4. Attach your certified proof of ID, the correct supporting documents and recognition certificate, as required.
  5. Have another adult (18 or over) witness your signature on the declaration section of the application form.
  6. Have 2 doctors complete the statutory declaration sections of your application form—including Medicare provider numbers—and have this witnessed by a Justice of the Peace or another authorised person.
  7. Pay the fee.
  8. Submit your application form, return your birth certificate (if applicable) and certified documents to us, along with payment by post or in person.

By post

Post your completed application form with certified documents to:

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
PO Box 15188

In person

Visit the Brisbane registry customer service centre at Level 32, 180 Ann Street, Brisbane with your completed application form and your original proof of ID and supporting documents (as required).

Pay the fee

You will need to work out the total cost of your order and make sure to pay the correct amount.
You can pay:

  • at the customer service centre
    • by EFTPOS or credit card
    • with cash
    • with a business account cheque
    • with a bank cheque
    • with a money order
  • through the mail
    • by credit card
    • with a business account cheque
    • with a bank cheque
    • with a money order.

Make cheques and money orders payable to 'Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages'.

We do not accept personal cheques.

Application fees

Item Cost
Note a change of sex in birth or adoption register $108.70
Updated standard birth certificate (standard postage included) $46.60

Postage fees

Standard postage is included in the price when you apply for a certificate to be sent by mail.

You can request to have your certificate posted by express or registered post for a fee.

Express post $6.10
Registered mail $4.90
International registered post $15.90

Contact us

Email, we reply to online enquiries within 2 business days.

Local call* 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
International +61 7 3405 0985 (+10 hours UTC)

(Phone lines open Monday–Friday, 8.30am–4.30pm)

*Costs may be higher from mobile phones and interstate.

Get the PDF application form

If you are unable to complete the application form online, you can use the PDF application form and apply by post or in person.

Get the note a change of sex in the birth or adoption register application form

Get a birth certificate

If you have already noted a change of sex with us and need a replacement birth certificate, apply by post or in person with proof of ID.

Last updated
19 June 2018
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.