Guide to Bond Loans and Rental Grants
Existing Bond Loans
Checking your Bond Loan balance
You can check your outstanding balance with our online tool. You’ll need to provide your Bond Loan number and date of birth.
Transferring bond to another property
You can transfer a bond to another property if:
- the landlord, agent or manager/provider will remain the same
- there is no claim on the original bond
- all the original tenants move into the new property with no additional tenants added.
We can’t provide a ‘top up’ Bond Loan or Bond Loan Plus if your new bond is more than your current bond.
To transfer your bond, lodge a Change of rental property (Form 3) with the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA).
Each person listed on the Bond Loan agreement is responsible for ensuring the full Bond Loan amount is repaid.
Leaving your shared tenancy
If you want to leave a shared tenancy, you’ll still be responsible for the Bond Loan unless you ask to be removed from the loan agreement.
Everyone on the Bond Loan has to agree to this, as remaining tenants must accept responsibility for the balance of the debt.
To remove your name from a shared tenancy Bond Loan:
- complete a Change of bond contributors (Form 6), which must be signed by all tenants and the agent/lessor
- have all tenants visit your nearest Housing Service Centre to complete an ‘Agreement of release’ to amend the Bond Loan agreement.
We will advise the RTA of the change to the Bond Loan when the ‘Change of bond contributors’ form is completed.
If you lodge this form without first contacting us, the RTA won’t process the change.
Refund of bond
The Department of Communities, Housing and Digital Economy is not responsible for processing refunds.
To claim a bond refund, lodge a Refund of rental bond (Form 4) with the RTA at the end of your tenancy.
Looking after your interests
It is your responsibility to:
- familiarise yourself with the terms of the tenancy agreement you signed
- keep all rental receipts
- provide a forwarding address to us and your lessor or lessor’s agent if you move.
Disputes with your agent/lessor
We don’t enter into any disputes between the agent/lessor and tenants. If you have queries about a dispute, contact the Residential Tenancies Authority.
For more information on Bond Loans:
- phone the Bond Loan arrears team on 1800 501 702 about repayment issues
- phone Housing Services on 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- email ICCHousingEnquiries@smartservice.qld.gov.au
- contact your nearest Housing Service Centre.
In this guide:
- Check your eligibility for Bond Loans and Rental Grants
- How to apply
- After you have applied
- Repaying your Bond Loan or Bond Loan Plus
- Existing Bond Loans
- Previous ( https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/renting/rent-assistance/bond-loan/bond-loan-rental-grant-guide/repaying-your-bond-loan )