State tenancy agreement

The State tenancy agreement is a legal contract between the department (also called the landlord) and you, the tenant. The agreement describes the rights and obligations of you and the department.

The Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008 clearly states what is included in this agreement.

You are responsible for maintaining your tenancy in accordance with your tenancy agreement and the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008. Just like tenants living in private rental properties, you are expected to meet the terms of your tenancy agreement, be a good neighbour and look after the public housing property at all times.

Do I get a copy of the agreement?

Yes—you should have been given a copy of the agreement after you signed it.

The agreement has 2 parts:

  • Part 1—the schedule containing details of the home you are moving into.
  • Part 2—the general conditions which apply to all departmental properties.

Make sure you read it carefully so you know all your rights and responsibilities. Keep it somewhere safe in case you need to check something in the future.

What happens if I don’t keep to the terms of the agreement?

A breach of the agreement occurs if any part of the agreement is broken.

For example if:

  • you don't pay your rent
  • we enter your public housing property without giving you prior notice.

A breach of the agreement may lead to a dispute between you and the department. If it is not resolved, the department or you may take steps to end your tenancy.