Your housing offer

If you are on the housing register, we will contact you when a social housing property becomes available:

  • for the type of housing and the number of bedrooms you are eligible for
  • in your preferred location
  • to  review your circumstances and  eligibility for social housing and that your needs and wellbeing match to the available property.

We will ask if you’re ready to move and if you are, you can inspect the property. This is called an ‘offer of housing’.

If you’re not ready to move for a short period of time due to unplanned circumstances, you can ask us to put your application on hold until you are ready to move.

Inspecting the property

We give you the keys and you can look at the property. You must return the keys to us by 4pm on the same day.

If you want to move in

When you return the keys, you can tell the Housing Service Centre if you’d like to move in. We then make an appointment with you to sign a State tenancy agreement

Refusing a housing offer

You are expected to accept reasonable offers of housing which meet your housing needs based on the information you have provided and there are no known issues that mean your match to the available property is not suitable.

If you don’t want to move into the property, you need to discuss your reasons with the Housing Service Centre.  We will work with you to understand if your social housing needs have changed and help with other housing services which may better suit your needs.

If your circumstances have changed and you still require social housing, we will update your application details to make sure future offers match  the information you have provided about your housing needs.

Not responding to an offer

If you don’t respond to an offer of housing after we have made every effort to contact you, we cancel the offer and your application and send you a letter telling you why this has happened.

It’s important to tell us about any changes to your circumstances and housing needs to ensure we have your up to date information to contact you.

If you’re unhappy with the decision

If you believe our decision to cancel your application was wrong, unfair or unreasonable, contact your nearest Housing Service Centre to discuss your situation and request an application for review.

If you apply for a review, you must give us as much information as possible to explain why our decision was wrong, unfair or unreasonable.

Helpful resources