Literacy and life skills
If you cannot read or write and need help:
- contact the organisation you are dealing with for help, explaining your situation
- contact a community organisation.
The Endeavour Foundation supports people with a disability to improve their independence and daily living skills.
- Where: Nambour, 5 days a week
- Contact Endeavour—phone (07) 3908 7100
Homeless Connect event
Homeless Connect is a 1 day event held twice a year (May and November) in Brisbane for homeless people (or those at risk) to go to one place for services such as medical care, legal help, housing help, personal grooming items and clothes.
Improve your skills
The Reading Writing Hotline
Talk to the hotline about your reading, writing, spelling or maths needs and get details of adult literacy and numeracy classes in your area. If there are no suitable classes in your area, you may be able to get help by distance education.
- Contact the hotline—phone 1300 655 506
Queensland Council for Adult Literacy
The council may be able to connect you with literacy providers in your area.
Townsville City Council Library Services
- Where: Townsville
- Contact the library—phone (07) 4727 9000
Adult Community Education
Adult Community Education (ACE) gives adults and young adults access to learning throughout their lives.
Caboolture Community Adult Literacy Group Inc
The Caboolture Community Adult Literacy Group offers basic literacy and numeracy education, employment and job skills training, computer skills courses and an English as a Second Language (ESL) course.
- Contact the group—phone (07) 5495 1711
- Language, literacy and numeracy program—a Centrelink program for eligible unemployed people who are looking for work to improve their speaking, reading, writing or basic maths skills.
- Skills website
- Read, write, now! has a list of literacy websites and resources for students and tutors.
- My Community Directory—search a directory of community organisations in your area