Health and counselling services
Free health checks for the homeless
Contact details are also listed in your local White Pages under Queensland Health, Dental (Oral) Health Services.
Free public health care
Medicare Card holders can access Queensland’s free public hospital system for immediate medical assistance.
Find medical assistance
The National Health Services Directory is a free online directory listing health and community services in Queensland.
If you have a serious health concern, phone 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84). Qualified staff will advise you what to do. You can phone 24 hours a day 7 days a week for the cost of a local call, but calls from a mobile phone may be charged at a higher rate.
Brisbane Homelessness Service Centre
Contact the Brisbane Homelessness Service Centre to access affordable health care and services to improve your health.
View a map of Brisbane’s outreach and homeless services.
Drug Arm’s Street Outreach Service (SOS) provides free support if you’re:
- homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
- dependant on drugs and alcohol.
Homeless Health Outreach Team
The Homeless Health Outreach Team located in Townsville, provides homeless people experiencing alcohol or drug issues free contact with health professionals, including mental health nurses, doctors and Indigenous health workers.
Anglicare homelessness services
Anglicare offer homelessness outreach and health services including free first aid, nursing, wound care, physical health monitoring and health education to Queenslanders.
Footprints in Brisbane
Footprints in Brisbane provide mediation, counselling and individual support for the homeless, or those at risk of homelessness.
Long term homeless
If you have been homeless for a long time, free support and counselling is available:
- to avoid feeling isolated or alone by connecting with your community
- to help you recover from addictions, including alcohol, drugs and gambling addiction
- for people at risk of suicide or self-harm
- for mental health issues.
The Australian Red Cross also provide support to the homeless, and people at risk of homelessness.
Crisis, drug and alcohol abuse counselling
If are feeling down or overwhelmed, you can contact:
• the Alcohol and Drug Information Service on 1800 177 833
• beyond blue on 1300 224 636
• Lifeline on 13 11 14
• Kids Help Line on 1800 551 800
• Mensline Australia on 1300 789 978
• Quitline on 13 QUIT (13 78 48)
• Vinnies—Gillies House on (07) 3876 7329.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
Find out where Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people can find support and counselling for drug or alcohol problems.