Pool safety laws
Queensland's pool safety laws apply to all new and existing pools.
There is one pool safety standard in Queensland: MP 3.4—Swimming pool barriers (PDF, 1.3MB). MP 3.4 replaced 11 different standards in 2015.
Pool safety laws apply to all pools associated with residential buildings, including hotels, motels, resorts and other short-term accommodation buildings (class 3 buildings).
These class 3 properties must have either a:
- compliant pool barrier
- pool safety management plan that has been approved by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.
Different rules apply depending whether you’re buying, selling or renting a property with a pool. Read the Guidelines for pool owners and property agents (PDF, 2.3MB).
- Pool registration
- Requirements for CPR and warning signs
- Pool safety management plan guideline (PDF, 513KB)
- Pool safety management plan application form (Form 38) (PDF, 314KB).
- Pool safety information for buyers, sellers, lessors and agents