Applying for a first home owner grant
Understand your obligations
Anyone who will own any part of your new home must be included on the original application for a first home owner grant. You only need one application for your new home, regardless of the number of applicants, because one grant is payable per new home.
If you have a spouse, they must be included on the application—either as an applicant or non-applicant spouse.
You must submit the original application and it must be:
- signed by all applicants
- completed in full
- accompanied by supporting documentation (e.g. proof of identity, contract, final inspection certificate).
The application form has a checklist of what you need to supply.
Making sure you don’t lose the grant
To keep the grant, all applicants must meet these residence requirements:
- move into home within 1 year of the completed eligible transaction
- live in the home continuously for 6 months
- tell us within 14 days if you are unable to move into your home or have to move out of your home before you have lived there for 6 continuous months.
Depending on your circumstances, you may have to pay back the grant because you are no longer eligible.
There are penalties if you don’t tell the Office of State Revenue within 14 days of finding out that you are unable to meet these conditions. Read the public ruling on penalty amounts (FHOGA047.1).
You may be required to verify that you have met these requirements later, by providing documentation supporting the period of occupancy for all applicants.
And while the residence requirements for the grant are similar to those for the transfer duty concessions, the grant and concessions are separate benefits—you need to meet the requirements in each case. For example, you can rent the home out before moving in and keep the grant, but you will lose the transfer duty concession.
In this guide:
- Previous ( https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/buying-owning-home/financial-help-concessions/qld-first-home-grant/apply-first-home-grant/first-home-check-eligibility )
- Next ( https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/buying-owning-home/financial-help-concessions/qld-first-home-grant/apply-first-home-grant/first-home-how-when-apply )