Buying a home and HomeBuilder

If you are buying a new home or an off-the-plan home to live in, you may be eligible for the HomeBuilder grant.

The $25,000 grant is paid per home, and only once to an individual or couple. It is not available to investors buying an investment property.

  • You must meet the eligibility criteria.
  • The licensed builder must have held a licence before 4 June 2020.
  • The contract is entered into at arm’s length or otherwise at a fair market price.
  • The contract is signed between 4 June 2020 and 31 December 2020.
  • The contract price must be $750,000 (including GST) or less.
  • Excavation and site preparation for your new home must have commenced on or after 4 June 2020.
  • If excavation and site preparation had not commenced when the contract was entered into, it must commence within 3 months of signing the contract. In limited circumstances, a 3-month extension may be granted.


In these examples, the individuals also need to meet the eligibility criteria and application deadlines.

Your obligations

You must move into your new home as your principal place of residence after the title is transferred to your name and live there continuously for 6 months.

You can rent out one or more rooms in the home during this 6-month period, as long as this arrangement doesn’t affect your use of the home. However, renting out any rooms in the first year after you first move in may affect your eligibility for the first home concession or home concession.

Even though the residence requirements for this grant are similar to those for the home concessions, the grant and concessions are separate benefits—you need to meet the requirements in each case. For example, you can rent the home out before moving in and keep the grant, but you may lose the first home concession.

We may ask you to verify that you have met these requirements later, by providing us with documents that support the period of occupancy for all applicants.

When to apply

After you have signed your contract, there is a 2-step process to follow with strict timeframes.

Step 1:   Apply by 31 December 2020. Late applications are not accepted.

Step 2:   Provide all supporting evidence by 31 October 2022. Documents supplied after this date will not be accepted.

Supporting evidence

You will need to provide these documents when you apply:

  • A copy of the contract dated between 4 June 2020 and 31 December 2020
  • A copy of your Australian Taxation Office notice of assessment for the year ended 30 June 2019 or 30 June 2020 with your tax file number concealed (For couples, both applicants must provide the notice for the same year.)
  • A copy of your Australian birth certificate, Australian passport or Australian citizenship certificate
  • A copy of photo ID such as an Australian driver licence, Australian proof of age card or Australian firearm licence (not needed if you have provided a copy of your Australian passport)
  • Certificates to confirm name change or marital status (e.g. marriage, divorce, death, separation)
  • A copy of a title search or registration confirmation statement that shows you and your co-applicant (if applying as a couple) as registered owners on the title
  • Evidence of when construction commenced (e.g. inspection certificate, statement from developer)
  • A statement confirming reasons for the delays if construction didn’t commence within 3 months.


If you have entered into a contract and your bank or lender requires pre-approval for your HomeBuilder application:

  • make an application (as set out in step 1)
  • include the first 5 documents (if applicable) from the supporting evidence list
  • submit your application.

Allow 5 working days for a decision to be made. You will be notified via email of the next steps you need to take.

Remember, you will need to complete step 2 once your transaction is completed.


When the grant is paid

The grant is paid into your nominated bank account once all the supporting evidence is submitted, including the registration confirmation statement listing you as the owner on title.

More information