Skip links and keyboard navigation

About concessions for homes

Home concessions

When you have land in Queensland transferred to you that you’ll use as your home, you may be able to claim a concession that reduces the amount of duty you have to pay.

If you meet certain eligibility requirements, the duty may be reduced to the point where you don’t have to pay anything.

You may be eligible for a:

Companies are not eligible to claim these concessions.

Trustees (including corporate trustees) are not eligible for the concessions unless all the following apply:

  • the transferees are trustees of a trust (other than a discretionary or unit trust)
  • the beneficiaries are individuals, all of whom are under a legal disability
  • the residence will be the home of all the beneficiaries.

Use our home concession eligibility tester to find out if you may be eligible for a concession.

Queensland First Home Owners' Grant

If you’re a first home owner buying or building a new home, you may also be eligible to claim the Queensland First Home Owners' Grant.

You’re allowed to claim both the grant and a transfer duty concession, but each has its own eligibility requirements and some cancel out others. For example, the grant allows you to rent out a room while using it as your residence, but this would disqualify you for both the first home concessions.

Learn the differences between the residency requirements of the first home concessions and First Home Owners' Grant.


For transfer duty enquiries:

  • call 1300 300 734 (Australia) or
    +61 7 3227 6044 (overseas)
  • send an email using our online enquiry form.

Land tax home exemption

Find out if you can claim an exemption from land tax on land you use as your home.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated:
21 December 2017
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.