Aids and equipment for community access
The Community Aids, Equipment and Assistive Technologies Initiative (CAEATI) offers subsidies for assistive technology which allow a person with a disability to access their community. The subsidy categories are:
- Communication support–items that assist people to connect and exchange information with their communities of choice e.g. speech generating devices, PODD communication books
- Community mobility– items that improve physical access in the community e.g. power assist wheels
- Active participation–items to support a person in recreational and civic activities e.g. recreational wheelchairs, sports wheelchairs
- Postural support– items designed to improve functional participation eg. weight bearing devices, Hi-Lo seating.
To be eligible for CAEATI, you must:
- be under 65 years of age
- not be entitled to receive the full cost of the aids, equipment or assistive technologies under another government-funded program
- not be receiving any legal compensation related to your disability
- be eligible for specialist disability services from the Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services (DCCSDS)
- have been deemed eligible through a Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disabilities Services (DCCSDS) assessment prior to submitting an application. Please include your DCCSDS reference number on your application.
Subsidy amounts and criteria
Funding is capped at $10,000 for a period of three years. A prescriber subscription subsidy of up to $500 per application may also be available to help you pay for the assistance of a registered therapist. This is limited to a total of $800 every three years.
More information is available in the CAEATI Guidelines (PDF, 355 KB).
How to apply
Contact a registered CAEATI prescriber to organise an assessment for the aids, equipment or assistive technologies you require. They will help you complete the application form and submit it to MASS for you.
To find a CAEATI prescriber, you can call MASS on 1300 443 570 or send an email with your contact details to MASS-CAEATI@health.qld.gov.au.
To apply for CAEATI funding, you must:
- include your DCCSDS BIS number (call 13 QGOV if you have forgotten your number)
- complete the MASS 20 Daily Living Aids and Mobility Equipment (including CAEATI) (PDF, 744 KB).
For more details about applying for CAEATI:
- Email: MASS-CAEATI@health.qld.gov.au
- Phone: 1300 443 570