The Queensland Cervical Screening Program is part of the National Cervical Screening Program, promoting regular screening with Pap smears every 2 years.
Cervical cancer is one of the most preventable cancers through regular cervical screening. Most women who develop cervical cancer have not had regular Pap smears.
Queensland Health Pap Smear Register
The Queensland Health Pap Smear Register (PSR) is a central database that contains a complete history of Pap smears and other related test results for the women of Queensland.
Your Pap smear provider sends your Pap smear to a laboratory for processing. The laboratory then analyses the Pap smear and sends the results and recommendations back to the Pap smear provider and to the PSR, unless you state otherwise.
The PSR will:
- send you a reminder letter if you are overdue for your regular Pap smear
- work with your Pap smear provider to help ensure you have follow-up tests if needed
- keep a history of your results to assist your Pap smear provider and pathology laboratory when they examine your current Pap smear
- provide a list of all your Pap smear results since 1999.
If you can't remember when you had your last Pap smear, or would like to know when you are due for your next one, call the PSR.
Contact the register
Phone: within Queensland: 1800 777 790
outside Queensland: 07 3328 9989
Post: Queensland Health Pap Smear Register, Locked Bag 20, Fortitude Valley BC Queensland 4006
Request a copy of your Pap smear history
If you would like a copy of your Pap smear screening history:
- download and complete the Request for Screening History form
- call 1800 777 790 and ask to have the form sent to you.
Send the completed form by post, fax or email to the Pap Smear Registry.
The Register must receive your written request before they are authorised to send you this information.
Once the completed form is received by the PSR and your identity is verified, a copy of your past screening results will be mailed out to you.
Change your contact details
If you have moved or would like to update your contact details, you can:
- phone 1800 777 790 (or 07 3328 9989 if outside Queensland)
- download and complete the Change of Details form, and send us by mail, fax or email
- return the tear-off slip from any PSR mail you have received.
If you are advised you no longer need Pap smears you can call the PSR and let them know – this will stop any future letters being sent to you.
Remove your details from the register
The PSR is an 'opt-off' system - your details will be automatically forwarded to the PSR every time you have a test.
You can choose not to have your details forwarded to the PSR by telling the Pap smear provider that you do not wish to participate. Your provider will note this on the test request form. You need to do this each time you have a Pap smear.
If your results are not recorded by the PSR or are deleted from the PSR, they cannot be retrieved by you or your Pap smear provider to assist in future assessments.
If you have any concerns or are thinking of 'opting off' the PSR, talk to your Pap smear provider.
Download and complete the Deletion Request form to:
- mark your record as inactive – your results stay on the register, you won’t receive reminder letters, but if you have another test sent to the PSR, your file will change back to active (you have moved out of Queensland or have had a hysterectomy)
- permanently stop any future reminders - your results stay on the register, you won’t receive reminder letters (you never want to receive future reminders from the Pap Smear Register for privacy reasons)
- delete all your information – removes your contact details, and screening history, you won’t receive reminders, you will need to tell the provider that you don’t want your details saved at every future visit.
If you have any queries, have decided to be removed from the PSR or you would like to stop further correspondence, contact the PSR.
- Request for Screening History form: for women who would like to be sent a copy of their screening records
- Change of Details form: for clients to update their contact details held by the PSR
- Deletion Request form: for women who wish to mark their record as inactive, stop future reminders, or delete all information.