Family planning and unplanned pregnancy
When you find out about an unplanned pregnancy, you may experience feelings ranging from shock and excitement, through to grief and anxiety.
It’s important to remember that you have options.
A family planning specialist or counselling service can provide up-to-date information and advice to help you address your feelings and concerns, know your rights and make a fully informed decision to either:
- continue a pregnancy independently or with a partner
- continue a pregnancy with the intention of giving the child up for adoption or foster care
- terminate a pregnancy by abortion.
Find a service
There are services available that can help you explore and resolve issues relating to your:
- feelings toward parenthood and children
- short- and long-term goals
- health and wellbeing
- financial situation
- religious beliefs
- moral values.
Family planning advice and counselling services can be accessed through:
- your doctor—find a doctor in your area
- True Relationships & Reproductive Health
- Women’s Health Queensland.
You can also access information and advice from: