Saving water at home
Selecting the right washing machine is the best way to save water and energy. Choose a washing machine with a 4-star WELS Scheme rating or better; you could use up to 50% less water.
There are a number of other ways you can save water in the laundry.
- Try not to use your washing machine every day. Instead, sort clothes and wash bigger loads less frequently.
- Pre-treat stains to limit the need to rewash.
- When adjusting warm water tap flow, always turn the hot water down rather than the cold water up.
- Use small amounts of water if washing clothes by hand and reuse this water in your garden.
- Make sure that everyone picks up and sorts the clothes they wear each day so clean clothes don’t get washed by mistake.
- Divert grey water from your washing machine for immediate use on your garden (except vegetables).
Water saving tip
Consider using biodegradable, low-phosphorous, low-sodium and low-nitrogen detergents as they are better for the garden.
Find out more
In this guide: