Selecting the right washing machine is the best way to save water and energy in the laundry. Choose a washing machine with a 4 star WELS Scheme rating or better; you could use up to 50% less water!
There are a number of other ways you can save water in the laundry.
- Only use your washing machine with a full load. One less load per week can save over 11 buckets of water!
- Pre-treat stains to limit the need to rewash.
- When adjusting warm water tap flow, always turn the hot water down rather than the cold water up.
- Make sure that everyone picks up and sorts the clothes they wear each day so clean clothes don’t get washed by mistake.
- Use detergents that are biodegradable, low-phosphorus, low-sodium and low-nitrogen so you can divert grey water from your washing machine for immediate use on your garden (except vegetables).
Find out more
- Refer to the Water Efficiency and Labelling Standards Scheme (WELS).
- Learn more about water leaks.
- Read more about water’s journey (PDF, 1.0MB) or view this short animation.
In this guide: