Queensland's waste strategy
Queensland’s Waste Management and Resource Recovery Strategy , underpinned by a waste disposal levy, provides the strategic framework for Queensland to become a zero-waste society, where waste is avoided, reused and recycled to the greatest possible extent.
The strategy focuses on transitioning to the principles of a circular economy to help retain the value of material in the economy for as long as possible.
It provides the framework to help deliver coordinated, long-term and sustained growth for the recycling and resource recovery sector while reducing the amount of waste produced and ultimately disposed of, by promoting more sustainable waste management practices for business, industry and households.
To support Queensland’s transition to a less wasteful future the Queensland Government is progressing a number of key actions as follows:
- Working with councils to raise awareness about locally-available recycling options.
- Delivering information and education programs that support waste avoidance, repurposing, reuse, recycling, and litter and illegal dumping prevention.
- Supporting councils to improve waste and recycling collection services and tackle problem wastes.
- Working with businesses to reduce excessive packaging and make packaging waste recyclable.
- Making government purchasing decisions that avoid waste and support products containing recycled materials.
- Supporting research into new uses and markets for recycled materials.
- Support infrastructure investment in locations to help improve community access to recycling.
The Community Summary provides simple actions to help Queenslanders reduce their own waste, boost recycling and reduce the impact of waste on the environment.
- Final report from the Investigation into the transport of waste in Queensland
- Government response to the investigation
- Key performance indicators for the Queensland Waste Strategy
- Economic Opportunities for Queensland’s Waste Industry: final report
- Transforming Queensland’s Recycling and Waste Industry Directions Paper
- Opportunities for Queensland’s waste industry