Requirements for operators in the levy zone
Monthly detailed data return
Waste detailed data return requirements
Detailed data returns provide comprehensive information about movements of waste and materials at waste disposal sites. Operators in the waste levy zone are required to submit them for each levy period from:
- 1 July 2019 – if the operator is required to hold an environmental authority (EA) for the disposal of more than 10,000 tonnes of waste a year at a site
- 1 July 2021 – if the operator is required to hold an EA for the disposal of between 5,000 and 10,000 tonnes of waste a year at a site
- 1 July 2024 – for any other operator.
Detailed data returns are also required from the following operators in the non-levy zone:
- operators who are required to hold an EA for the disposal of more than 10,000 tonnes of waste in a year at a site, and at least 50 tonnes of levyable waste, generated outside of the non-levy zone, is received at the site during the levy period to which the return relates.
Detailed data returns must be provided by the end of the month after a levy period (e.g. 31 August for a July levy period).
Operators of a levyable waste disposal site can apply for an extension of time to submit a waste data return if they are unable to meet the due date. Applications for an extension of time must be made prior to the due date for the waste data return.
Application forms are available for download from Applications and forms.
The detailed data file specification will assist waste disposal operators and their weighbridge software providers to understand what is required for a detailed data return.
The Levy Detailed Data Troubleshooting Guide will assist waste disposal operators when uploading the detailed data file into QWDS. If you experience any issues uploading your detailed data file you can find the possible errors you may experience and how to resolve the error in this guide.
In this guide:
- Weighbridge requirements and measurement of waste
- Volumetric surveys
- Monthly summary data return
- Monthly detailed data return
- Record keeping
- Resource recovery area (RRA)
- Levy payment (to the state)
- Levy and exemptions and discounts