Welcome to the Queensland Waste Data System, or QWDS, training. This session will show the Data Entry person how to complete the Summary Return.
So the Summary Return provides the information used to calculate the levy:
- A Data Entry person can enter the data but can’t submit the return – that part must be completed by a Verifier
- The Summary Return data is entered manually, and
- The Summary Return must be submitted by the last business day of the month after the levy data is collected
- So, for example, your July data must be submitted by the last business day in August
So some tips when you’re entering your Summary Return:
- Use the tab key or mouse to move to the next data entry box
- If you hit the enter key, it will try and save the form even if you haven’t finished entering the data
- Save Changes allows you to save what you’ve already entered and come back to it later, and
- If you have more than one site, the Next button will take you to your next site
- Once you’ve entered the data for all of your sites you will be taken to the Total Levy screen
So let’s go and have a look in QWDS and see what this looks like. So when you log into QWDS you’re presented with your dashboard. We’re going to enter our Summary Return by going to the left hand side here where it says Summary Returns. And for this example we’re going to submit our return for June.
Now, it says ‘submit’ but at this stage it’s still data entry so we click on Submit, and we’re presented with our first site alphabetically. So if you have no activity for that month for that site you can tick on this box here and that will zero the return. Otherwise you’ll need to go and complete the details of the incoming waste first.
So enter your figures in, and the tonnes to levyable part of site is actually what calculates your levy, so you’ll notice as we’re completing that, the calculation is happening down the bottom here.
So once you’ve entered all of your data for all of the rows in incoming waste, you move to the source of the incoming waste. So the tonnes received here must equal the tonnes received up here. So we’re going to put 100 in here, say that it’s all come from the levy zone. Similarly we move to waste movements to levyable part of the site and that must equal the tonnes that have gone to the levyable part of the site. So we’re just going to put in 90 there, to match that. You can add notes here and this is where we could click on Save Changes, otherwise we’re going to click on Next.
So, we’re presented with our next site alphabetically, and once again we go and type in the information as required for each row, and once again our levy is calculated. So we’ll need to match the tonnes to the source of incoming waste to the tonnes received, and the tonnes to levyable part of the site to the waste movements to levyable part of the site. Once we’ve completed all of our sites, we hit Next and we end up at our Total Levy screen.
So as the Verifier has to come in and complete this part later, as the Data Entry person you can only save this data, so you’ve got this opportunity to confirm that this information is correct. Once you’re happy with that you can click on Save, and your part is done. And you’ll notice now that, for June, it says the status is Draft.
So once you’ve entered your Summary Return you have to notify the Verifier that it’s ready for verifying and submitting. So the Verifier needs to ensure they validate the data entered and submit the Summary Return by the last business day of the month.
If you have any questions about QWDS, please use the contact details on your screen right now.
Thank you very much.