Proposed Saraji East Mining Lease Project
- Proponent to submit EIS.
- Development of an underground coal mine and associated infrastructure.
- Extraction of up to 7 million tonnes per year of metallurgical coal.
- Accommodation facility including a temporary construction village and a separate permanent operation village, if required, to support construction and operation.
- Dewatered tailings and reject disposal within waste rock dumps on the Saraji Mine.
- A mining infrastructure area including a run-of-mine stockpile and product stockpile pads and a coal handling and preparation plant (CHPP).
- A conveyor system to deliver coal from the underground portals to the CHPP and product coal to rail loading facilities.
- A new rail spur, balloon loop and signalling system.
- A network of gas drainage bores and associated surface infrastructure consisting of gas and water collection networks and access tracks across the underground mine footprint.
- Relocation of the existing Vermont water pipeline and existing 132 kilovolt (kV) powerline into a new infrastructure and transport corridor.
- BHP Coal Pty Ltd, QCT Mining Pty Ltd, Mitsubishi Development Pty Ltd, QCT Investment Pty Ltd, BHP Queensland Coal Investments Pty Ltd, QCT Resources Pty Ltd and Umal Consolidated Pty Ltd, also known as the BM Alliance Coal Operations Pty Ltd (BMA), on behalf of the Central Queensland Coal Associates (CQCA) Joint Venture.
- Approximately 30 kilometres north of Dysart in Central Queensland.
- Isaac Regional Council.
- 1000 (construction).
- 500 (operational).
- Approximately 25 to 30 years.
Commonwealth Approval needed
- Yes (controlled action EPBC 2016/7791) single EIS assessment process for Queensland and the Commonwealth.
Environmental impact statement (EIS)
The process for the assessment of this project is as follows:
- Submission of draft TOR
- Public notification of draft TOR
- Final TOR issued—EIS in preparation
- Public notification of EIS
- Proponent responds to submissions
- EIS assessment report
The proponent is currently preparing the EIS. The decision date for DES to decide if the EIS is to be released publicly has been extended to 31 October 2020.
- Final Terms of Reference
- s46 Public Notice of final terms of reference
- s42 Public Notice
- Draft Terms of Reference
- Initial Advice Statement
For further information about the EIS process for this proposal, contact the EIS Coordinator Proposed Saraji East Mining Lease Project on 13QGOV (13 74 68) or email email@example.com.