Galalar Silica Sand Project
- Construction and operation of a greenfield, open-cut silica mine and associated infrastructure.
- Extraction of up to 950,000 tonnes per year of run of mine silica sand.
- Construction and operation of a barge loading facility, either at Nob Point (with construction of an associated haul road) or at Cooktown on the Endeavour River.
- Screening and wet processing of silica sand on site.
- Product stockpiling on site and at the barge loading facility.
- Trucking of product to the barge loading facility.
- Transhipment of product from barges to ships for export.
- Diatreme Resources Ltd
- Cape Bedford, approximately 20km north of Cooktown and 20km east of Hope Vale
- Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire Council and Cook Shire Council
- Approximately 15 years
- Approximately 40 (construction)
- Approximately 45 to 60 (operation) depending on the barge facility location
Commonwealth approval needed
- Yes (controlled action EPBC 2020/8626), single EIS assessment process for Queensland and the Commonwealth
Environmental impact statement (EIS)
- Submission of draft TOR
- Public notification of draft TOR
- Final TOR issued (EIS in preparation)
- Public notification of EIS
- Proponent responds to submissions
- Project assessment report
The proponent has submitted a draft Terms of Reference (TOR) for the EIS.
Public review and comment
The draft TOR for the EIS will be available for public review and comment from 27 July 2020 to 14 September 2020.
Written comments are invited from any person in relation to the draft TOR and can be made using the comments template .
Written comments should be sent to:
The Chief Executive
Department of Environment and Science
Attention: The EIS Coordinator (Galalar Silica Sand Project)
GPO Box 2454
BRISBANE QLD 4001
or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Department of Environment and Science (DES) is collecting the information provided in comments on the draft TOR for consideration in the EIS process. All comments (including names and addresses) will be provided to the proponent as required under section 44 of the Environmental Protection Act 1994, so that they may consider them and provide a response to DES. This consultation is a public process, and any comments you provide may be published (including online) and may be transmitted outside of Australia. You may wish to bear this in mind when providing your comments. Your information will not be disclosed by DES to any other parties unless authorised or required by law.
Notice and documents
Publicly available documents can be obtained by accessing the links below, by contacting the proponent’s project hotline on 1800 512 189 or emailing email@example.com
- s42 public notice
- Initial advice statement—Executive Summary
- Initial advice statement
- Draft terms of reference
- Comments template
For further information about the EIS process for this proposal, contact the EIS Coordinator (Galalar Silica Sand Project) on 13QGOV (13 74 68) or email firstname.lastname@example.org