Aurukun Bauxite Project
- Construction and operation of a greenfield, open-cut bauxite mine, extracting up to 15 million tonnes per year of run of mine (ROM) bauxite ore and associated infrastructure.
- Construction and operation of an accommodation village for up to 280 persons.
- Construction and operation of an instream water supply dam.
- Screening and washing of bauxite ore in an on-site beneficiation plant.
- Construction and operation of a product haul road and coastal loading facility for loading of product bauxite onto a transhipment vessel.
- Transhipment of product bauxite onto an ocean going vessel for export.
- Glencore Bauxite Resources Pty Ltd
- Approximately 35 kilometres (km) south of Weipa and 23 kilometres (km) north-east of Aurukun on the Cape York Peninsula
- Aurukun Shire Council and Cook Shire Council
- Approximately 25 years (including 2 years construction)
- Up to 350 (construction)
- Approximately 400 (operation)
Commonwealth Approval needed
- Yes (accredited assessment process under Commonwealth Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999; EPBC 2020/8624), single EIS assessment process for Queensland and the Commonwealth
Environmental impact statement (EIS)
- Submission of draft TOR
- Public notification of draft TOR
- Final TOR issued (EIS in preparation)
- Public notification of EIS
- Proponent responds to submissions
- Project assessment report
The proponent has submitted a draft Terms of Reference (TOR) for the EIS.
The draft TOR will be available for public review and comment from 6 July 2020 to 17 August 2020. Written comments from any person in relation to the draft TOR within that period are invited. Comments can be made on the downloadable comments template .
Written comments should be sent to:
The Chief Executive
Department of Environment and Science
Attention: The EIS Coordinator ( Aurukun Bauxite Project)
GPO Box 2454
BRISBANE QLD 4001
or by email to email@example.com
The Department of Environment and Science (DES) is collecting the information provided in comments on the draft TOR for consideration in the EIS process. All comments (including names and addresses) will be provided to the proponent as required under section 44 of the EP Act, so that they may consider them and provide a response to DES. This consultation is a public process, and any comments you provide may be published (including online) and may be transmitted outside of Australia. You may wish to bear this in mind when providing your comments. Your information will not be disclosed by DES to any other parties unless authorised or required by law.
Notice and documents
Publicly available documents can be obtained by accessing the links below or by contacting Hansen Bailey on 07 3226 0900, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information about the EIS process for this proposal, contact the EIS Coordinator (Aurukun Bauxite Project) on 13QGOV (13 74 68) or email email@example.com