Aurukun Bauxite Project
- Construction and operation of a greenfield, open-cut bauxite mine, extracting up to 15 million tonnes per year of run of mine (ROM) bauxite ore and associated infrastructure.
- Construction and operation of an accommodation village for up to 280 persons.
- Construction and operation of an instream water supply dam.
- Screening and washing of bauxite ore in an on-site beneficiation plant.
- Construction and operation of a product haul road and coastal loading facility for loading of product bauxite onto a transhipment vessel.
- Transhipment of product bauxite onto an ocean going vessel for export.
- Glencore Bauxite Resources Pty Ltd
- Approximately 35 kilometres (km) south of Weipa and 23 kilometres (km) north-east of Aurukun on the Cape York Peninsula
- Aurukun Shire Council and Cook Shire Council
- Approximately 25 years (including 2 years construction)
- Up to 350 (construction)
- Approximately 400 (operation)
Commonwealth Approval needed
- Yes (accredited assessment process under Commonwealth Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999; EPBC 2020/8624), single EIS assessment process for Queensland and the Commonwealth
Environmental impact statement (EIS)
- Submission of draft TOR
- Public notification of draft TOR
- Final TOR issued (EIS in preparation)
- Public notification of EIS
- Proponent responds to submissions
- Project assessment report
The proponent is currently preparing the EIS.
Notice and documents
Publicly available documents can be obtained by accessing the links below or by contacting Hansen Bailey on 07 3226 0900, or emailing email@example.com
When the EIS is released, public submissions will be invited. For further information about the EIS process for this proposal, contact the EIS Coordinator (Aurukun Bauxite Project) on 13QGOV (13 74 68) or email firstname.lastname@example.org