Fire ants

Living in fire ant biosecurity zones

If you live or work in a fire ant biosecurity zone, it is important that you are aware of your responsibilities when moving or storing materials that could carry fire ants.

Under the Biosecurity Act 2014, all Queenslanders have a general biosecurity obligation to take all reasonable steps to ensure that they do not spread fire ants.

You can meet your general biosecurity obligation by:

The Biosecurity Regulation 2016 prescribes procedures that you must follow when moving or storing a fire ant carrier. Find more about procedures for managing each fire ant carrier.

Moving pot plants

Residents may move potted plants (non-commercial) with a volume less than 60 litres per pot to any location within Queensland as mentioned in the Biosecurity Instrument Permit (PDF, 2MB). The permit requires you to inspect the plants for fire ants before the movement and to report suspect ants to the National Red Imported Fire Ant Eradication Program.

Any contractors, e.g. removalists who may be moving potted plants, also need to ensure the plants have been checked for fire ants. You are not required to keep a copy of the permit for your records, however if you hire a removalist they may ask to see the permit.

Failure to comply with the permit is an offence and penalties may apply.

Alternatively, you can completely remove the potting medium from the plant's roots, leave the potting medium on site, and re-pot with new soil when you get to your destination.

Further information

In this guide:

  1. Top 5 places to check for fire ants
  2. Living in fire ant biosecurity zones
  3. Fire ant biosecurity zones suburbs list
  4. Fire ant eradication treatment
  5. Aerial fire ant treatment
  6. Treatment of fire ants by the program
  7. Treatment of fire ants at home
  8. Community fire ant treatment projects
  9. Fire ant treatment frequently asked questions
  10. Training and education about fire ants
  11. Fire ant biology and ecology

Print entire guide