Why not stay, work and play at one of Queensland’s top locations? Become a campground host in some of our fantastic national parks. Hosts volunteer their time and get to see some of Queensland’s most beautiful locations for free, meet fascinating people and create memories that last a lifetime. Using your very good communication and interpersonal skills you will act as an ambassador for QPWS and be a first point of contact for new arrivals to a park, provide up to date information and other services. Additional duties vary between parks or sites, including:
- orient visitors to the camping area
- explain what facilities are available
- share information about the best things to do and see
- provide safety advice
- explain local rules such as fire bans
- warn visitors about any severe weather forecasts such as cyclones
- provide updates on facilities such as water supply status
- help keep camping areas neat and tidy
- help keep amenities clean and functional
- keep an eye out for any matters that need to be reported to the rangers.
You will receive training and induction from rangers before you start, any equipment you need to carry out your duties and ongoing ranger support during your stay.
Campground hosting is perfect for self-reliant couples who are experienced campers, enjoy meeting other people and love being outdoors. At least one host must have a current senior first-aid certificate. Hosts should also be fit and healthy, and preferably be 18 or over.
Typically, campground hosts are engaged for 7–21 days during busy periods, such as school holidays. In return, you camp for free in the national parks. When you have completed your host duties, your time is your own—and you can do your own exploring.
Previous campground hosts have found the experience incredibly rewarding and educational. Helping support local rangers is a practical way for members of the community to contribute to the conservation of some of our most important and popular national parks.
Register now with QPWS for campground hosting opportunities in these parks:
- North West and Lady Musgrave Islands, Capricornia Cays National Park
- Noah Beach, Daintree National Park
- Eliot Falls, Heathlands Regional Parks
- Carnarvon Gorge, Carnarvon National Park