How the ban will be enforced
Using an education-first approach, the Queensland Government, through the National Retail Association and Boomerang Alliance, will work with businesses and not-for-profit organisations to ensure they understand the ban and what they must do to comply, as well as options to manage excess stock.
After 1 September 2021, a business or not-for-profit organisation may face a maximum fine of 50 penalty units for each of the following if they:
- supply a banned single-use plastic item
- provide false or misleading information to another person about a banned plastic item
- provide false or misleading information to another person about whether or not a plastic item is compostable
- do not provide clear and legible written information about whether a plastic item is compostable
- do not comply with a notice under the Waste Reduction and Recycling (Plastic Items) Amendment Act 2021.
Read more information about penalty units.