Applying for an easement over state land

Easements over land may be granted for a specific purpose, including access, drainage, sewerage, or supply of water or gas.

Important: Read our Easement policy (PDF, 588KB) before proceeding.

Written approval from the chief executive is required to create an easement over unallocated state land, reserve land, deed of grant in trust land and state leases or occupation licences. The easement document must be signed by the Department of Resources.

An easement can also be created over a state forest, but only for electricity purposes. An easement cannot be created over a road, including a road licence.

An owner of land (grantor) may grant an easement to another owner of land or public utility provider (grantee) for a specific purpose (e.g. access, drainage, sewerage, supply of water or gas).

How to apply

Your application should include:

To avoid processing delays, read the forms carefully and include all required information.

Lodging your application

If you can't lodge your application online, apply through the PDF applications and lodge by emailing or by posting it to Department of Resources, PO Box 5318, Townsville QLD 4810.

Payment options

If a fee applies to your application, payment options are cheque (by post) or credit card.

Cheques should be made out to the 'Department of Resources' and marked 'not negotiable'.

Credit card payments are accepted over the phone.

We will send you a receipt once we have established that your application meets all requirements and has been properly made.

Contact us

If you have any questions about lodging your application or payment, contact:

How your application is assessed

We will assess your application against legislative requirements. We will seek the views of other stakeholders (e.g. state, regional and local agencies) and inspect the land if required.

Policies and legislation

Native title

Our review will also include an assessment of whether native title issues need to be addressed, and how this should be done. Depending on the outcome, you may be required to address native titles issues as a condition of the offer.

Other considerations

Please note that we do not support access easements:

  • over reserve land for recreation purposes or other reserve land used by the public where safety may be affected
  • that provide additional access to private land that already has dedicated access.

In some instances, we may need to amend the terms and conditions of the easement document.

We will also assess whether a consideration is payable to the state.

What happens next?

Once we have received the advice of other stakeholders and all issues, including native title, have been investigated, we will send you a written notice.

If your application is successful, approval will not be given until the easement document has been signed by all parties and submitted to us along with a:

  • plan of survey, if required
  • payment of consideration, if required.

The chief executive's approval for easements will be provided to you on a Titles Registry Form 18—General consent. This must be registered in the Queensland Titles Registry for the easement to be valid.

In this guide:

  1. Applying for an easement over state land
  2. Applying to continue a public utility easement

Print entire guide