Existing reef protection regulations
Best management practice in reef catchments
What is Smartcane BMP?
The industry developed Smartcane BMP program, is a robust and practical system that is about improving productivity, profitability and sustainability of farm enterprises. Through the Smartcane BMP, growers self-assess their practices to determine if they are ‘below’, ‘at’, or ‘above’ the current industry standard. If their activities are below the industry standard, the system shows what they would need to do to reach that standard. Help is also available through local facilitators, who can also assist producers to have their BMPs independently accredited.
These are the core Smartcane BMP industry standard modules to be met:
- Soil Health and Nutrient Management
- Irrigation and Drainage Management
- Weed, Pest and Disease Management
These modules will also help you comply with the regulated standards and, most likely, save you money while minimising the risk of valuable nutrients, pesticides and sediment leaving the property and impacts on the health of the reef.
In addition, there are a number of programs and support tools provided by the Australian and Queensland governments and industry organisations to help cane famers adopt best farming practices.
What is Grazing BMP?
The Grazing BMP program is also a voluntary, industry led process that helps graziers to identify practices that can help improve the long-term profitability and sustainability of their enterprise. It also helps identify the steps that incorporate best management practices, thereby allowing the grazing industry to demonstrate good environmental management to the wider community and to its markets.
These are the Grazing BMP industry standard modules to be met:
- Animal Health and Welfare
- Animal Production
- People and Business
- Grazing Land Management
- Soil Health.
In addition, there are a number of programs and support tools provided by the Australian and Queensland Governments and industry organisations to help graziers adopt best farming practices.
In this guide:
- How does this impact cane farmers?
- How does this impact graziers?
- Impacts of nutrient and pesticide run-off from cane farming
- Impacts of sediment run-off from grazing
- Support programs and tools for cane farmers
- Support programs and tools for graziers
- Best management practice in reef catchments
- Managing agricultural chemicals
- Nutrient calculation and soil sampling