Skip links and keyboard navigation


There are laws and standards which define the rights of people with disability and guide education and training service providers in their obligations. All state and non-state Queensland schools comply with these laws and standards.

There are 2 key pieces of Australian Government legislation:

These, along with other laws and standards guide the department’s requirement for schools to:

  • identify barriers to student learning
  • make adjustments to minimise barriers on student learning and achievement.

Read more about the relevant legislation and legal rights.


State and non-state schools receive government funding to provide support and resources for students with disability.

This allows schools to make adjustments so all their students can participate fully in school life.

State schools

Students with disability from Prep to Year 12 are supported through:

For more information, read:

Specialist staff in Queensland state schools

We employ specialist staff who work with students with disability. They include:

Schools also have access to guidance officers, literacy and numeracy support teachers and behaviour support teachers who work with students with disability within their school community.


Contact your state school or regional office for more information. School contact details are available by phoning 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or searching the schools directory.

Non-state schools

The Queensland Catholic Education Commission and Independent Schools Queensland receive funding through the Students with Disability Program.

They allocate funds to:

  • purchase in-school resources
  • provide support services
  • enhance and promote the educational outcomes of students with disability in 7 disability categories (the non-state sector includes social emotional disorder as an eligible disability category).

Non-state schools also use the Education Adjustment Program to assist students with disability.


For more information about how non-state schools support students with disability, contact:

Education Adjustment Program

The Education Adjustment Program (EAP) is a process for identifying and responding to the educational needs of students with disability in the following impairment areas:

  • autism spectrum disorder
  • hearing impairment
  • intellectural disability
  • physical impairment
  • speech-language impairment
  • vision impairment.

EAP targets support for students with significant needs in the above defined impairment areas including support through special education programs and services.

Special provision

If your child has a disability they may qualify for adjustments so they can successfully undertake their assessments and tests. Students with temporary injuries may also qualify.

Special provisions are available for:

Some students may be granted a formal exemption from some assessments.

Contact your school to find out what arrangements can be made. School contact details are available by phoning 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or searching the schools directory.

For general information about special provisions:

Going to a Queensland state school

Information on going to school has been developed to support parents and children with disability.

Find out about:

Complaints and feedback

You can make a complaint or provide feedback about your school by following our complaints process.

If you feel your child is being discriminated against, contact the:

Disability support

Find out about support for children and young people including financial support and specialist disability services.

Non School Organisations Program

The Non School Organisations Program provides financial assistance to organisations to support eligible students with disability in state and non-state schools.

Find an organisation in your area that may be able to provide or arrange support for your child.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated
30 March 2015
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.