Complaints, enquiries and feedback

On this page:


If you have a complaint about a Queensland state school you should:

  • provide complete and factual information as soon as you can
  • make your complaint as calmly as possible
  • avoid making frivolous complaints, or using deliberately false or misleading information.

If you make a complaint about a staff member, they will generally be told and offered the right of reply. You can have a support person with you through the process.


If you have an enquiry regarding Queensland state schools you should:

Information privacy

The Department of Education and Training values complainants' privacy. Information is only used for the purpose of responding to the complaint and will be forwarded to the local education Regional Office and/or the school that is the subject of the complaint for investigation. Information will not be distributed to any third parties unless authorised or required by law. For more information, view the Department's privacy statement.

Make a complaint about a state school

There is a 4-step process to help you and the school reach an outcome that is in the best interests of your child. You must go through each step before progressing to the next.

The 4 steps are:

  1. Discuss your complaint with the class teacher*.
  2. Discuss your complaint with the principal or their delegate.
  3. Contact your regional office.
  4. Request an independent review.

*You should speak directly to the principal if your complaint relates to general school matters or school policy.

1. Discuss your complaint with the class teacher

Most complaints should be resolved at the local level. The teacher will make a record of your complaint and report your meeting and any outcomes to the school principal.

Contact the school to make an appointment with your child's teacher. School contact details are available by phoning 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or searching the schools directory.

2. Discuss your complaint with the principal or their delegate

If you can't resolve your concerns after speaking to your child's teacher you can raise your complaint with the school principal. The principal, or their delegate, may also be able to help you and the teacher resolve the problem if you weren’t able to after your initial discussion.

Complaints to the principal can be submitted in person, by telephone, in writing or via email. School contact details are available by searching the  schools directory or phoning 13 QGOV (13 74 68).

3. Contact your regional office

If you have not reached a resolution through steps 1 and 2, you should contact your regional office.

You can lodge your complaint by telephone or in writing.

Your complaint should outline the steps you have taken to resolve the issue and include your full name and address. You should also sign and date it. It is a good idea to keep a copy of any correspondence for your own records.

Your name and the nature of your complaint will be sent to the principal of your school. Regional office staff will then work with you and your school to seek a resolution.

Anonymous complaints will only be acted on if enough information has been provided to allow for follow-up with the relevant school principal.

4. Independent review

If your issue has still not been resolved through the above process, you can lodge your complaint with the Queensland Ombudsman.

Contact details are available on their website.

Employee misconduct

The Ethical Standards Unit manages complaints about misconduct by all employees of the Department of Education and Training (including state school staff).

To make enquiries and/or seek advice about making a complaint, contact the Ethical Standards Unit on (07) 3055 2950 or email

How do I make a complaint?

Contact the principal to lodge your complaint if it concerns any alleged wrongdoing or student harm matter involving state school staff. The principal will then refer it to the Ethical Standards Unit for assessment and consideration.

If your complaint concerns the principal, lodge it with the principal's supervisor at the regional office. They will then refer your complaint to the Ethical Standards Unit for assessment.

You can also:

What information should I include?

When you make your complaint, you should include:

  • your name and contact details (complaints may also be made anonymously)
  • the name and workplace address of the employee you are complaining about
  • a brief summary of your complaint including the names of the parties involved (if known)
  • any other information you believe may assist in the assessment of your complaint.

Read more about the misconduct complaints process.


Feedback from parents and the community is welcome.

To provide feedback about Queensland state schools:

  • contact your school—school contact details are available by phoning 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or searching the schools directory.