Complaints, enquiries and feedback
On this page:
If you have an enquiry about Queensland state schools you should:
- contact your school
- check the state schools frequently asked questions
- call 13 QGOV (13 74 68).
We are committed to responding to customer complaints in an accountable, transparent, timely and fair way that is compatible with human rights. For complaints about school matters you are encouraged to use the following three step approach:
- Early resolution: the best place to raise concerns is at the point where the problem or issue arose. Depending on your concern, you might make your complaint to your child’s teacher or the principal.
- Internal review: if you are dissatisfied with the outcome or how the complaint was handled, you can ask the local Regional Office to conduct a review.
- External review: if you are dissatisfied after the internal review, you may wish to contact a review authority such as the Queensland Ombudsman and request an independent, external review.
The Making a customer complaint: Information for parents and carers factsheet (DOC, 122KB) contains more information about the department’s approach. Visit the Queensland Ombudsman or Queensland Human Rights Commission for more information about external review options.
The Department of Education values complainants' privacy. Information is only used for the purpose of responding to the complaint and will be forwarded to the local Regional Office and/or the school that is the subject of the complaint for investigation. Information will not be distributed to any third parties unless authorised or required by law. For more information, view the Queensland Government's privacy page.
The Conduct and Complaints team within Integrity and Employee Relations manages complaints about misconduct against employees of the Department of Education.
To make enquiries and/or seek advice about making a complaint, contact the Conduct and Complaints team on (07) 3055 2950 or email ConductandComplaints@qed.qld.gov.au.
How do I make a complaint?
Contact the principal to lodge your complaint if it concerns any alleged wrongdoing or student harm matter involving state school staff. The principal will then refer it to the Conduct and Complaints team for assessment and consideration.
If your complaint concerns the principal, refer your complaint to the principal's supervisor at the regional office. They will then refer your complaint to the Conduct and Complaints team for assessment and recording.
You can also:
- email ConductandComplaints@qed.qld.gov.au
- call (07) 3055 2950
- post a letter to the Manager, Conduct and Complaints, Integrity and Employee Relations, Department of Education, PO Box 15033 City East QLD 4002
- send a fax to (07) 3055 2996
- contact the Crime and Corruption Commission.
What information should I include?
When you make your complaint, you should include:
- your name and contact details (complaints may also be made anonymously, however this may limit the investigation)
- the name and workplace address of the employee you are complaining about
- a brief summary of your complaint including the names of the parties involved (if known)
- any other information you believe may assist in the assessment of your complaint.
Feedback from parents and the community is welcome.
To provide feedback about Queensland state schools:
- contact your school—school contact details are available by phoning 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or searching the schools directory.