Skip links and keyboard navigation

Queensland Academies Isolated Students Bursary

Applications for 2018 are now closed.

Information regarding applications for 2019 will be made available prior to the commencement of the 2019 school year.

Rural or remote students who attend a Queensland Academy may be eligible for financial support with their travel and accommodation costs through the Queensland Academies Isolated Student (QAIS) Bursary.

The bursary includes a travel allowance and student accommodation allowance—neither payment attracts GST and there is no financial means test.

It helps students who are not eligible for the Living Away From Home Allowance Scheme (LAFHAS)—you should check if you’re eligible for the LAFHAS before applying for the QAIS Bursary.

Contact us

Email or phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68) for more information about the QAIS Bursary.

For more information about the Queensland Academies, email or phone (07) 3377 9366.

Living Away From Home Allowance Scheme

The Living Away From Home Allowance Scheme provides financial support for families with children living away from home to attend school.

Help for rural families

The Australian Government offers a range of support for rural families and students to help cover family expenses, including education and childcare costs.

The Isolated Children’s Parents’ Association is a voluntary national parent body dedicated to ensuring that geographically isolated students have equal access to education.

Student hostels

The Boarding Australia website lists hostels providing accommodation for isolated students so they can have daily access to schools.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated
17 May 2018
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.