Skip links and keyboard navigation

Become a university teacher

Generally you will need a postgraduate qualification in a relevant academic field to teach at a Queensland university. Completion of a doctorate is usually required for a full-time lecturing position.

In some areas, such as law and engineering, lecturers may be appointed on the basis of their extensive industry and/or professional experience rather than postgraduate qualifications.

Currently enrolled postgraduate students may also be invited to undertake part-time teaching work.

For further information, please refer to the individual university websites listed below.


To find a job you can search jobs and careers websites or visit the following Queensland university websites:

Industry information

Read about the duties of a university lecturer, work conditions and pay.

Queensland-specific information about the profession is also available.

Professional development

Completing a Graduate Certificate of Higher Education will help increase your higher education teaching skills and improve your chances of getting a job.

Visit QTAC to find universities that offer this course.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated
27 November 2014
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.