Renew, update, replace or cancel a card

Renew your card

A Companion Card is printed with an expiry date and is valid for 5 years. After this period, the cardholder will need to renew their card.

A reminder letter and Companion Card renewal form will be sent to the cardholder 6 weeks before the card expiry date. If you do not receive your letter and form, contact the Companion Card program.

You should check you continue to meet the eligibility criteria before you complete a renewal form (PDF, 207KB), (RTF, 368KB).

After you have completed the renewal form:

  • attach 2 current, passport quality photographs (see guidelines on the form)
  • take the form and your photographs to your service provider or a health professional to sign and verify your continued eligibility for a card
  • post your renewal form and signed photographs to the address listed on the form.

Replace a card

If your card is lost or damaged you can request a replacement card.

Update cardholder details

If you have changed your contact phone number or address, or your informal decision maker has changed their contact details, you can update your details.

Moving interstate

If you are moving interstate, you can release your Companion Card details to the program in your new state of residence and you will be issued a new card.

Cancel a card

If you are no longer eligible for a Companion Card or wish to advise of the death of a cardholder, contact the Companion Card program.

Change of name

To obtain a card in your new name you will need to contact the Companion Card program and a form will be sent to you. To complete the form you will need to provide a photocopy of supporting documentation such as:

  • change of name certificate
  • marriage certificate
  • driver licence.

Contact the Companion Card program


Phone: 13 QGOV (13 74 68)

Fax: (07) 3404 3045

Post: Companion Card Program—Card Services
Smart Service Queensland
PO Box 10817