Skip links and keyboard navigation

Support with bullying for children and young people

You can go directly to our information for children and young people about:

I've been bullied at school or online. What can I do?

If you are being bullied at school or online, you should report the behaviour to someone who can help. Education Queensland recommends you talk to a person you can trust, and who can help you resolve the problem. You may like to talk to:

  • a teacher, year coordinator or head of department
  • a guidance officer
  • the deputy principal
  • the principal at your school.

If you are being bullied outside of school hours, or would prefer to talk to a person away from school, you can call Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 or Lifeline on 13 11 14. Web counsellors also provide support.

If there is a threat to your safety, the police will help. You can call Triple Zero (000) or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Lifeline has tips that may help you with responding to cyberbullying, including:

  • using privacy options on Facebook and My Space
  • printing or save all emails, text messages, or chat conversations where the person who is bullying interacts with you
  • changing your mobile number, and blocking your number ID in future to prevent it being recorded when making calls with general phone use
  • changing your user ID for instant messaging.

The Australian Government also has tips and advice to help children and teens deal with cyberbullying. 

I am a student and I think I may have bullied others. Is support available for me at all?

Children and teens can bully others for different reasons. It may make you feel good, or you might think you are having fun. You may also be trying to get even with someone, be impulsive or want others to admire and like you. You may have bullied other people and not even realised it at the time.

Engaging in bullying behaviour isn't fair-and you should treat others the way that you'd like them to treat you. It can also hurt you, and might be affecting your schoolwork, your friendships and your health.

Support is available for you if you'd like to talk to someone about it. You can call Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800, or get in touch with a web counsellor now.

What do other young people say, and can I share my story?

  • Kids and teens can share their stories, and read personal experiences about bullying, on the Kids Helpline website.
  • Youthbeyondblue has a ‘Share your story' forum where children and young people can share their experiences with depression and anxiety, provide tips about getting help or getting better, and talk about their thoughts.
  • You can read stories from other young people about their mental health, and register to share your story, on the ‘Is it just me?' forum by headspace, the National Youth Mental Health Foundation.

Support for siblings

You may need support if your brother or sister has a disability, a chronic illness or a mental health issue and is getting a hard time at school or is bullying others. You might also be finding it hard coping with how other kids are treating them—or you.

You can call Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800, or speak to a web counsellor about how you are feeling. Helpful info is also available on the following websites:

More information

Kids Helpline

Kids Helpline logo

Support is available if you are a young person who is experiencing bullying. You can call Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800, or get in touch with a web counsellor now. Kids Helpline also has helpful webpages about:

Stop cyberbullying!

Check out anti-cyberbullying videos from the Australian Human Rights Commission's BackMeUp campaign.


headspace is Australia's Youth Mental Health Foundation and provides support, information and services to young people, 12-25 years, and their families across Australia. headspace can help with general health, mental health and wellbeing, alcohol and other drug issues and education, employment and other services. Visit for information, to find your nearest headspace centre, or for online counselling and support.


Youthbeyondblue logo.

beyondblue's website for young people—Youthbeyondblue—provides information on depression, anxiety and how to help a friend.

You can call the beyondblue info line on 1300 22 4636.

If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech disability, you can call through the National Relay Service:

  • TTY callers-phone 133 677 and ask for 1300 22 4636
  • speak and listen (SSR)-phone 1300 555 727 and ask for 1300 22 4636
  • internet relay-connect to and ask for 1300 22 4636.
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated:
25 September 2013
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.