Skip links and keyboard navigation

The Queensland Government is now in caretaker mode until after the state election. Minimal updates will be made to this site until after the election results are declared.

Moving to or from Queensland

If you are a National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) participant or are about to become one, your arrangements will continue even if you move interstate. Contact your NDIS planner for more information.

If you are receiving disability supports from a state or territory government and are about to move interstate, the National Interstate Portability Protocol will be used to coordinate your access to services.

Help available under the protocol may include:

  • information about what disability services may be available in the state or territory you are moving to
  • help with registering for support in the state or territory you are moving to
  • a one-off transfer of disability services funding for a period of 12 months where applicable*.

*only some types of disability services funding can be transferred. Transfer of funding is not an entitlement, but a negotiated process based on eligibility under the protocol as well as the guidelines operating in the relevant state or territory.

Whether you are moving to or away from Queensland, it is important to plan ahead to ensure your relocation goes smoothly.

Moving to Queensland

If you are moving to Queensland, contact the relevant state government jurisdiction for disability services in the area you are moving from, and they will contact Queensland Disability Services on your behalf.

Moving away from Queensland

If you currently receive specialist disability support from Disability Services in Queensland, and you are moving interstate, contact your local service centre as early as possible.

Disability Services will consider a request to transfer interstate funding allocated to you, as guided by the Protocol. It is important to note that not all types of funding can be transferred.

Aids and equipment

Generally, you will be able to take your aids and equipment with you when you move interstate.

If you are moving, contact your equipment provider as soon as possible, to:

  • confirm what you can take
  • make arrangements to hire or borrow equipment that cannot be moved with you
  • return or dispose of unwanted items
  • transfer outstanding requests for new equipment, repairs/maintenance to the new equipment scheme*

*Documentation from your current equipment scheme about warranty, equipment age, repair history and serviceability in your new location is usually required before a decision can be made about your particular item.


All moving costs remain your responsibility.

Once you move, the guidelines of the new equipment scheme will apply, including equipment available and any co‑payments, eligibility, prioritisation and waiting list conditions.

Other products

If you receive regular supplies of continence, respiratory or other products, contact your new equipment provider or equipment scheme about what can be provided and the amounts that can be provided, as well as other funding schemes where applicable.

Further information

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated:
22 February 2017
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.