Skip links and keyboard navigation

Sexual abuse and assault: getting help

If you are in immediate danger, phone 000 (Triple Zero) or go to the emergency department at your local hospital.

If you’ve just experienced sexual violence, get yourself to a safe place as soon as possible and:

These services can help you by providing referral to free counselling and support and medical care, including:

  • emergency contraception
  • medical examinations
  • testing for sexually transmissible infections (STIs).

If you’re thinking of reporting the attack to the police, do not change your clothes, comb your hair or wash yourself. This may remove evidence.

If you decide to have a medical examination, the medical officer:

  • can gather evidence in case you decide to file a report with the police and proceed with legal action
  • will talk with you and check how you’re feeling
  • will discuss the possibility of pregnancy and STIs.

If you think you may be at risk of pregnancy, you could talk to a doctor about emergency contraception.

No one asks or deserves to be a victim of sexual violence. If you were attacked or abused, you are not to blame.

Where to get support

The after-effects of a trauma can be painful and confusing. You may find it helpful to:

  • talk to supportive people like friends, family or counsellors
  • read or watch videos about sexual violence and its effects
  • write down your feelings.

Support services

Services are available to help you deal with the short-term and long-term effects of sexual violence:

Women's Infolink

Women's Infolink on phone 1800 177 577 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm) offers information and referral services including:

Health services

For help and information on health matters, contact:

Child abuse

If you need to speak to someone about child abuse contact:

Sexual harassment

According to the Anti-Discrimination Act 1991 sexual harassment is any:

  • unwelcome physical touching
  • sexual or suggestive comments, jokes or taunts
  • unwelcome requests for sex
  • display of sexual material (e.g. photos or pictures)
  • sexual reading matter (e.g. emails, faxes or letters).

Find out more about identifying and preventing harassment.

If you wish to make a complaint, phone the Anti-Discrimination Commission of Queensland on 1300 130 670 or TTY 1300 130 680 for advice and help. Find out more.

If you have experienced violence, assault or stalking you should report this directly to the police.

Emergency contact

If you are in immediate danger, phone 000 (Triple Zero) or go to the emergency department at your local hospital.

Domestic and family violence: get help

Find out where to get help if you are in a domestic and family violence situation.

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia (CC BY 3.0)
Last updated:
13 July 2016
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.