Emergency hardship assistance

The Emergency Hardship Assistance (EHA) grant helps people affected by a disaster to get:

  • food
  • clothing
  • medical supplies
  • temporary accommodation.

On this page

What the EHA is

You can apply for $180 per person, up to $900 for a family of 5 or more, to help purchase food, clothing and medical supplies or secure temporary accommodation.

This grant isn’t income or asset tested.

Who can apply

You must meet all these requirements:

  • you either live in or are stranded in an eligible area affected by a disaster event
  • you have suffered hardship as a result of the event
  • you are unable to meet your immediate essential needs for food, clothing, medical supplies or temporary accommodation.

People who aren’t Australian citizens can also apply for this grant.

What isn’t covered

You can’t apply:

  • if you were isolated within your property (unless you are experiencing hardship as a direct result of the event)
  • for business loss or damage including compensation for loss of income
  • for farm or property damage (excluding principal place of residence)
  • to replace loss of tools of trade
  • for loss of power or essential services to your home (you may be eligible for an Essential Services Hardship Assistance grant if the loss is for more than 5 days).

How to apply

You can apply for this grant either:

What you need to apply

To complete your application, you will need to provide evidence of your identity and place of residence. This can be:

  • Driver licence or other photo identification.
  • Medicare card showing members of your family that you are applying for.

If you don’t have this information, you will need to provide other evidence that shows your name, date of birth and address.

For help with your application, call the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 or visit a Community Recovery Hub or Support Services location.

How to replace lost or destroyed documents.

The grant can be paid by either:

  • Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to the bank account you listed in your application. The timing depends on when your bank processes the payment.
  • If available, you can also collect a prepaid Recovery Debit Card from a Community Recovery Hub or Support Services location, which can be used at any shops with EFTPOS facilities and all ATMs.

More information