Family and Child Connect
Family and Child Connect is a local, community-based service that helps families to care for and protect their children at home, by connecting them to the right services at the right time.
The service will:
- consider information they receive with a focus on the safety and protection of children
- make contact with the family to discuss the situation, recognising that sometimes parents just need a little help to care for their children safely at home
- make a decision about the type and level of support that may be required for the family
- connect families to services that may assist them in their situation.
What support is provided?
Parents can seek support through the service to:
- develop parenting skills and managing child behaviour
- build better relationships between family members, including help with any violence at home
- improve budgeting and managing money
- manage alcohol, drug or gambling problems
- access housing, healthcare or other community or government services.
The service can also link families to more intensive support services that help families stay together.
What if my family needs help?
There are many people in the community who are there to help families and children, for example, doctors, nurses and teachers.
If they are concerned about a family’s situation, they can contact Family and Child Connect for advice and let them know that the family might need some help.
Other members of the community can also contact Family and Child Connect for information, advice and support, including parents, other family members and young people.
Contact your local service
If you would like to make contact or refer a family or child to your local Family and Child Connect service you can call 13FAMILY (13 32 64) and be referred to the closest office.
Family and Child Connect can also visit a family at home or a place that is mutually convenient and safe to talk.
Visit a local office
- Beenleigh / Bayside - Unit 2/59 Alamein Street, Beenleigh (service provided by The Benevolent Society)
- Browns Plains / Beaudesert - 10-20/3202 Eastern Road, Browns Plains (service provided by Mercy Community Services)
- Cairns - 4/202 Scott Street, Bungalow (service provided by Act for Kids, Community Services Tablelands, Community Support Centre Innisfail and Warringu Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corporation)
- Dutton Park - 252 Annerley Road, Dutton Park (service provided by Kurbingui Youth Development, Indigenous Family and Child Support Services and Mercy Community Services)
- Emerald - 124 Borrila Street, Emerald (service provided by UnitingCare Community)
- Gladstone - 25 Off Street, Gladstone (service provided by UnitingCare Community)
- Gold Coast - 21 Tallebudgera Creek Road, West Burleigh (service provided by Act for Kids)
- Ipswich - Ground floor, 2/16 East Street, Ipswich (service provided by Kummara Association)
- Kingaroy - Lot 2 Somerset Street, Kingaroy (service provided by South Burnett CTC)
- Logan - 6 Bindi Street, Logan Central (service provided by The Benevolent Society)
- Mackay - address coming (service provided by Act for Kids, C&K and Girudala Community Co-operative Society)
- Maryborough / Bundaberg - 37 Tavistock Street, Hervey Bay (service provided by Churches of Christ)
- Moreton Bay - Suites 28-29 Kingsgate Centre, 42-44 King Street, Caboolture (service provided by Mercy Community Services)
- Murgon - 35 Lamb Street, Murgon (service provided by South Burnett CTC)
- Rockhampton - 229 Musgrave Street, Rockhampton (service provided by UnitingCare Community)
- Roma - Maranoa Regional Council (The Hub), Corner Bungil and Quintin Streets, Roma (service provided by Mercy Family Services and Lifeline Darling Downs)
- Sunshine Coast including Gympie - 33 Dalton Drive, Maroochydore (service provided by Act for Kids)
- Toowoomba - 104 South Street, Rangeville (service provided by Mercy Family Services and Lifeline Darling Downs)
- Townsville - 111 Charters Towers Road, Hermit Park (service provided by Mercy Family Services and Palm Island Community Company)
- Zillmere - 430 Zillmere Road, Zillmere (service provided by Kurbingui Youth Development, Indigenous Family and Child Support Services and Mercy Community Services).
The final rollout of Family and Child Connect will be established in 2016 to deliver services in Cape York/Torres Strait and Mount Isa/Gulf.
Call 13FAMILY (13 32 64) or visit Family and Child Connect for more information.
Make an online referral
You can also refer a family or child to Family and Child Connect or an intensive family support service using the online form.