In an emergency—a life-threatening situation:
- call Triple Zero (000) for police, fire or ambulance services.
Child abuse and neglect can be physical abuse or emotional abuse (or neglect). It can also be sexual abuse or exploitation. Read about the warning signs of abuse.
Reporting child abuse
If you think a child is experiencing harm, or is at risk of being harmed, contact Regional Intake Services (part of Child Safety Services):
- in business hours (Monday to Friday, from 9.00am to 5.00pm)
- Far North Queensland—1300 684 062
- North Queensland—1300 706 147
- North Coast—1300 703 921
- South East—1300 679 849
- South West—1300 683 390
- Brisbane—1300 682 254
- Central Queensland—1300 703 762
- after hours and on weekends (24 hours, 7 days a week)
- Queensland—1800 177 135 (freecall) or phone (07) 3235 9999
- if you’re unsure who to talk to, call 13 QGOV (13 74 68).
A child under protection
If you have information about a child we are protecting:
- contact a Child Safety Service Centre near you
- call our Enquiries Unit if you’re unsure who to talk to (24-hours a day 7 days a week):
- Queensland—1800 811 810 (freecall)
Domestic and family violence
Call Triple Zero (000) for police if you are in a life threatening situation.
Women, children and young people experiencing domestic and family violence can contact the DV Connect womensline for support.
- Call 1800 811 811 (statewide, 7 day 24-hour service)
- Information, support and counselling about domestic and family violence, women’s refuges, protection orders and safety.
DV Connect mensline offers support for men affected by domestic violence.
- Call 1800 600 636 (statewide, 7 day 9.00am–12midnight service)
- Information and help if you are a victim of abuse or if you caused abusive behaviour.
Find what legal help is available for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, their partners or carers who are a victim or a survivor of domestic and family violence or sexual assault (not perpetrators).
Seniors experiencing abuse can get help.
- Elder Abuse Helpline 1300 651 192 (Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm, local call costs).
- Information for seniors experiencing discrimination and abuse and what support is available.
- Office of Public Guardian receives complaints about adults who are being harmed but are unable to report it.
Abuse of people with disability
- Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline is a national service for reporting abuse and neglect of people with disability.
- Call 1800 880 052 (Monday to Friday 9am - 7pm Australian Eastern Standard Time)
Other types of abuse
Information about what is sexual abuse and what to do if you’ve been abused.
Find out what you can do about :
Know how to report abuse.
- Anti-Discrimination Commission Queensland deals with all discrimination and unfair treatment matters.
- If you are a person with a disability and feel you are being discriminated against, find out what your rights are and what legal advice is available.
- Seniors experiencing discrimination can get help.
- Support exists for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) youth experiencing abuse or discrimination.
- See what legal help is available to help you deal with discrimination.