Skip links and keyboard navigation

Reporting abuse

In an emergency—a life-threatening situation:

  • call Triple Zero (000) for police, fire or ambulance services.

Child abuse

Child abuse and neglect can be physical abuse or emotional abuse (or neglect). It can also be sexual abuse or exploitation. Read about the warning signs of abuse.  

Reporting child abuse

If you think a child is experiencing harm, or is at risk of being harmed, contact Regional Intake Services (part of Child Safety Services):

  • in business hours (Monday to Friday, from 9.00am to 5.00pm)
    • Far North Queensland—1300 684 062
    • North Queensland—1300 706 147
    • North Coast—1300 703 921
    • South East—1300 679 849
    • South West—1300 683 390
    • Brisbane—1300 682 254
    • Central Queensland—1300 703 762
  • after hours and on weekends (24 hours, 7 days a week)
    • Queensland—1800 177 135 (freecall) or phone (07) 3235 9999
  • if you’re unsure who to talk to, call 13 QGOV (13 74 68).

A child under protection

If you have information about a child we are protecting:

Domestic and family violence

Call Triple Zero (000) for police if you are in a life threatening situation.

Women, children and young people experiencing domestic and family violence can contact the DV Connect womensline for support.

  • Call 1800 811 811 (statewide, 7 day 24-hour service)
  • Information, support and counselling about domestic and family violence, women’s refuges, protection orders and safety.

DV Connect mensline offers support for men affected by domestic violence.

  • Call 1800 600 636 (statewide, 7 day 9.00am–12midnight service)
  • Information and help if you are a victim of abuse or if you caused abusive behaviour.

Find what legal help is available for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, their partners or carers who are a victim or a survivor of domestic and family violence or sexual assault (not perpetrators).

Elder abuse

Seniors experiencing abuse can get help.

Abuse of people with disability

  • Disability Abuse and Neglect Hotline is a national service for reporting abuse and neglect of people with disability.
    • Call 1800 880 052 (Monday to Friday 9am - 7pm Australian Eastern Standard Time) 

Other types of abuse

Sexual abuse

Information about what is sexual abuse and what to do if you’ve been abused. 


Find out what you can do about :

Know how to report abuse.  


Support for victims of abuse

See what help is available for victims of child abuse and domestic violence.

Support for victims of crime

Find what support is available for victims of crime.

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Last updated:
8 December 2017
  1. Is your feedback about:
  2. (If you chose ‘website’ above)

    Page feedback

    1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *
  3. (If you chose ‘service’ above)

    Feedback on government services, departments and staff

    Please use our complaints and compliments form.