Support for victims of abuse
Domestic and family violence is an issue that affects all Australians.
Domestic and family violence support services
Advice, support and healing is available for Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islander peoples affected by domestic and family violence or abuse. Search online for a support service near you.
The North Queensland Domestic Violence Resource Service provides direct support, tips and brochures on how to handle domestic and family violence.
Contact Brisbane’s Domestic Violence Service on (07) 3217 2544 for domestic violence information, resources and services.
Relationships Australia offers counselling, family dispute resolution (mediation) and education programs for individuals, families and communities.
Queensland Courts have videos that explain the court process for family and domestic violence, including what you need to do to apply for a domestic violence order.
Other support and healing contacts are available, including financial help for Queenslanders affected by abuse.
The 1800RESPECT Frontline Workers Toolkit provides resources to support frontline workers in making a stand against domestic and family violence.
The Secretariat of National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care promotes the rights and needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and children. Contact them on (03) 9489 8099.
The Queensland Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Child Protection Peak is a non-government organisation that aims to improve the safety and wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children, young people and their families.
Abuse is a serious crime and should be reported.
In an emergency, phone Triple Zero (000) for police, fire and ambulance.
Find out how to report abuse, including elder and child abuse.
Queensland Indigenous Family Violence Legal Service (QIFVLS)
QIFVLS is a not-for-profit organisation providing free legal advice and counselling services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
To contact your nearest QIFVLS Office, you can:
- phone 1800 88 77 00.
Find more information on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander legal services.
- 1800RESPECT Frontline Workers Toolkit
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service
- Applying for a domestic violence order: Queensland Courts
- Brisbane Rape and Incest Survivors Support Centre (BRISSC)
- Daisy app links women to local domestic and family violence and sexual assault services
- DVConnect Womensline - phone 1800 811 811 (24 hours, 7 days a week)
- Family Relationships Online helps you to build better relationships
- Information about domestic and family violence
- Kids Helpline - phone 1800 55 1800 (24 hours, 7 days a week)
- Parentline - phone 1300 30 1300
- Prepare your application for a protection order
- Queensland domestic and family violence laws and legislation
- Statewide sexual assault contacts.