How to get a lease

Leases are granted by the trustee of the land. For Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander deeds of grant in trust (DOGITs), the trustee is the local Indigenous council.

To get a lease, you must first lodge an application or an expression of interest with the trustee.  Each trustee will have their own process for accepting lease applications.

We have developed expression of interest forms for you to use to apply for a lease:

  1. Read about the types of leases and terms available.
  2. Select the appropriate form from those listed below.
  3. Complete the form then send it to the trustee.

If you are applying for a 99-year home ownership lease, please read about home ownership leases.

Expression of interest forms

Aboriginal land

Torres Strait Islander land

What happens next?

If the trustee agrees to the lease, they will give you a conditional agreement. This outlines any conditions you must satisfy before the trustee will grant the lease. These could include the negotiation of an Indigenous land use agreement (ILUA) or survey of the land.

The conditional agreement will also state the rent and other financial considerations, as well as any conditions that must be satisfied after the grant of the lease.

Once you have met the conditions, a lease document will be issued. This is the final agreement between you and the trustee and will be used to register the lease.

Related information

Leasing manuals and other resources are available to help trustees and applicants.