Eligibility and how to apply
To be eligible to apply for the Queensland Indigenous Youth Leadership Program, you must:
- be 18 to 25 years old at the time of the program
- identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- currently live in Queensland.
If selected for the program, you will be asked to provide proof of age and residential address.
How to apply
Applications for the 2017 Queensland Youth Indigenous Leadership Program are expected to open in March/April 2017. Applicants are encouraged to apply online or download the printable version, which can be posted or emailed.
Advice for applicants
- The information you provide will be treated as confidential and will only be used to assess your suitability and eligibility for the program. If selected, your personal information may be given to service providers for the purpose of securing accessible accommodation and facilities throughout the program of events.
- Provide as much information as you can about activities or projects you are currently involved in and why you are interested in participating in the program.
- When answering the questions, provide details about your:
- communication and teamwork skills
- leadership skills and experience
- knowledge of community issues
- motivation and your vision for your community.
- Use examples from your past or present employment, voluntary work, educational achievements and any relevant hobbies or community activities. When you give an example, provide an explanation of the situation, what you contributed, the result you achieved and what you learned.
- Past experience in participating in other leadership programs is not necessary.
Example of application question and answer
This sample response may be useful as a guide for answering questions in the application form.
Question: What interests you about participating in the Queensland Indigenous Youth Leadership Program?
Answer: It would be an amazing experience to come together with other Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people with an interest in creating positive change within our communities. It would be a fantastic opportunity to learn leadership skills which I will be able to pass on to others. I would also like to learn more about Queensland’s democratic processes and how these affect my people.
Selection of participants
Forty participants will be selected based on:
- answers provided in the application form
- availability to attend the 6-day residential program in Brisbane (local participants will be required to stay with the group for the duration of the program)
- willingness to participate in all sections of the program, including events and dinners
- willingness to contribute to the aims and goals of the program
- willingness to learn and be able to take into account many community perspectives.
Program participants will be a diverse group based on gender, background and geographical location.
Awesome, it was good hearing about other participants’ backgrounds and stories of where they came from plus where they are planning on going.