Positive parenting: help is here to get you there
Managing children's challenging behaviours can be a struggle, but help is available.
The Triple P – Positive Parenting Program provides free tips, seminars, sessions and courses. They're now available free to all parents and carers of children from birth to 16 years throughout the state.
There is a range of Triple P programs available to suit different ages, issues and needs.
Brisbane couple Richard and Claire Fuller completed the online course last year. Watch their story and hear what they had to say about it.
Some of the options include:
- Seminars—90 minute presentations packed with practical tips about common issues in everyday parenting.
- Discussion Groups—two-hour sessions that target specific behavioural problems.
- Primary Care—a few, quick personal sessions that allow parents to focus on one or two issues.
- Group—a small group course that gives parents a toolkit of strategies to handle just about any situation parenting can throw at them.
- Self-help—Triple P Online and self-help workbooks give the full toolkit of positive parenting strategies.
- Standard—a course of ten private sessions to help manage serious behaviour problems.
- Enhanced—mix-and-match modules to help parents cope better with stress, partner conflict or mental health issues.
- Pathways—intensive support for parents struggling to maintain their anger.
One-on-one Triple P phone support is also available through Parentline on 1300 30 1300, from 8am to 10pm, seven days a week, for the cost of a local call.