The Public Service Commission (PSC) supports the Queensland public sector in becoming a high-performing, future-focused workforce, by providing strategic advice and tactical support on:
- strategic workforce planning
- workforce policy, awards and legislation
- leadership capability development
- chief and senior executive recruitment, remuneration and contracts
- human resources capability development
- conduct and performance excellence
- community insights for service innovation
- organisational design
- workforce analytics and employee opinion surveys.
Find out more about our teams and services and how we support the Queensland public sector workforce.
Executive recruitment and contracts
Queensland’s chief and senior executives play a key role in leading the Queensland public service. We support these executives by providing strategic advisory and operational services by bringing together our whole-of-government expertise and experience on:
- contract management
- appointment and induction
- performance management
Policy, conduct and performance
We are responsible for managing the Queensland public sector employment framework, including legislation, directives, policies, guidelines and the Code of Conduct for the Queensland public service. We are also responsible for:
- developing resources to build capability and understanding of the employment framework
- managing the Conduct and Performance Excellence (CaPE) and HR Assist service to support agencies to better manage conduct and performance matters
- collecting data from agencies on conduct and performance, and reports data annually
- working with the Crime and Corruption Commission to ensure matters are handled by the appropriate organisation.
Leadership and capability
We empower the Queensland public service to strive for high performance, by:
- building leadership capability across the public sector by brokering leadership development programs and events focused on current and future leadership challenges
- coordinating leadership capability assessment and development initiatives to build a pipeline of future leaders
- providing advisory services to help government agencies better connect with Queensland communities
- understanding their needs in a service delivery context and design better ways to meet those needs
- advancing the capability, integrity and professionalism of the public sector through administrative support for the Institute of Public Administration Australia (IPAA) Queensland.
Strategic workforce futures
We play a critical role in leading, guiding and managing the public services’s approach to strategic workforce planning. We do this by:
- partnering with agencies to research, co-design and embed sector-wide workforce strategies and initiatives
- partnering with agencies to support organisational performance improvement across the public sector
- managing the annual Working for Queensland (WfQ) survey, including assisting agencies to understand and convert data into actionable insights for improvement
- coordinating the National Redress Secondment Program on behalf of the Chief Executive Leadership Board
- coordinating sector-wide diversity and inclusion initiatives
- lead worker health and wellbeing initiatives and coordinates sector-wide reporting
- leading workplace reform initiatives to support employees affected by domestic and family violence
- leading the public sector’s approach to strategic talent acquisition, including through contemporary mobility platforms and graduate recruitment portal
- managing the sector-wide approach to supporting employees affected by workplace change.
We manage the collation and validation of Queensland public sector workforce profile information to inform workforce planning and management. We are also responsible for:
- managing the PL27 workforce data tool used by public sector agencies to provide workforce data
- developing reports and data visualisations of strategic workforce metrics.
Community insights works with agencies looking to find new solutions to complex problems, providing expertise to your project team through an internal consulting approach.