Youth Housing and Reintegration Services (YHARS)
Youth Housing and Reintegration Services (YHARS) help young people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. They provide support, financial help, and access to different accommodation options.
YHARS is made up of two services:
- YHARS Support—provided in six locations (Hervey Bay/Maryborough, Inala, Mount Isa, Rockhampton, Toowoomba and Townsville)
- After Care Service—available statewide.
On this page:
If you’re eligible, a caseworker can help you work out what services and support you need to sort out your housing situation and related needs. Under YHARS Support this might include helping you to:
- apply for and access accommodation
- make contact with your family or carers (if that’s appropriate)
- find education, training and job opportunities
- develop skills and knowledge to help you stay in a place and to live by yourself
- link with support, specialist services and longer-term accommodation services
- access financial help to pay for goods or services that are related to the above.
If you’re eligible, the After Care Service can provide support to access case management support and to financial help toward things like:
- gas, electricity, phone bills or overdue rent
- job-related licences (for example, a driver licence or a fork lift ticket)
- household items, clothes or food
- personal development, employment or training opportunities.
Young people aged 12 to 21 who:
- have exited or are exiting from care after being subject to a child protection order, or
- are transitioning to the community following a period of sentence or remand in a Youth Detention Centre, and/or
- have been 'sleeping rough' or living in unstable, temporary or inadequate housing.
Young people aged 15 to 21 who:
- have been assessed as suitable and capable of semi-independent living
- are eligible for or in receipt of an independent income
- are eligible for social housing assistance
- are in the process of applying for / have an approved application on the Housing Register.
After Care Service
Young people aged 17 to 21 who:
- are leaving, or have recently left the care of, Child Safety Services, and
- are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
You can refer yourself by contacting one of the YHARS service providers from the list below.
If you require the After Care Service but do not live close to one of the service areas listed below, contact your closest YHARS service provider and they will connect you with a local support provider who will assist you to access After Care support if you are eligible.
Australian Red Cross Society
Address: 98 Bazaar Street, Maryborough Qld 4650
Phone: (07) 4123 4697
Youth Housing and Reintegration Service including After Care Service (Inala)
Address: 17 Lilac Street, Inala Qld 4077 (next to the Blue Fin Fishing Club)
Phone: (07) 3151 6666
Young People Ahead
Address: 11-13 Fourth Avenue, Mount Isa Qld 4825
Phone: (07) 4743 1000 (contact Townsville for the After Care Service)
Mobile: 0408 751 799
Capricornia Training Company
Address: 38 Armstrong Street, Rockhampton Qld 4700
Phone: (07) 4922 2008
Australian Red Cross Society
Address: 371 Taylor Street, Toowoomba Qld 4350
Phone: (07) 4614 1600
Queensland Youth Services
Address: 641 Ross River Road, Kirwan Qld 4817
Phone: (07) 4723 4213