Skip links and keyboard navigation

How to transfer a motor vehicle, trailer, caravan or boat registration

If a used motor vehicle, caravan, trailer or boat changes hands, the vehicle registration must be transferred within 14 days after getting the vehicle or boat. There are fees you may need to pay when you transfer registration.

Transfer a boat registration

Find out how to change or transfer a boat registration.

Transfer a motor vehicle, trailer or caravan registration

If you are selling or disposing of your vehicle (for example, a car, motorcycle, heavy vehicle, caravan or trailer) to another person, you will need to give this person:

If you cannot get a gas inspection certificate because there is no one authorised to issue gas inspection certificates within a reasonable distance of where you live, you can apply for a gas exemption certificate.

Caravans or motorhomes cannot be exempted from providing a gas certificate.

On the day you sell the vehicle, you will also need to complete Part B of the vehicle registration transfer application (F3520) and have the buyer sign this part of the form.

Make sure you keep this as proof of transfer until the registration is officially transferred out of your name. You can check by phoning the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 80.

If the registration is paid by direct debit make sure you remove the vehicle from your direct debit service to prevent a payment being deducted in error.

Remember to remove any toll tags from the vehicle you are selling and update your details with go via the toll payment provider.

If you believe the registration transfer has not been lodged by the purchaser, you can submit Part B and a copy of the safety certificate at a transport and motoring customer service centre or, if you live in a rural area, a QGAP office, Magistrates Court or local police station that provides vehicle registration services.

Warning: You may be held accountable for offences committed by the purchaser if the purchaser does not submit Part A and you do not submit Part B.

Transfer registration for a modified vehicle to suit a disabled person

When buying this type of vehicle, complete a modified vehicle statutory declaration to claim a vehicle registration duty exemption for vehicle modifications made to enable a disabled person to drive or be a passenger. Give this statutory declaration to the vehicle dealer when you buy the vehicle or a transport and motoring customer service centre when you lodge your vehicle registration transfer application.

Only a person with a disability, a relative or carer of a person with a disability can apply to transfer the registration of a modified vehicle.

Buying or receiving a vehicle

If you buy or receive a vehicle, you will need to submit your registration transfer request to a transport and motoring customer service centre or, if you live in a rural area, a QGAP office, Magistrates Court or local police station that provides vehicle registration services within 14 days of purchasing the vehicle.

Bring these documents with you:

Buying or receiving a vehicle as an organisation

If you are registering a vehicle in the name of an organisation, you will need to bring organisation identification, such as a:

  • certificate of incorporation issued by the Office of Fair Trading
  • certificate of registration of a company or business issued by the Australian Securities Investments Commission.

You must also provide proof that you are acting on behalf of the organisation, such as:

  • wearing the organisation’s uniform
  • a business card or business identification
  • documentation from the organisation on official letterhead.

You must also bring your original driver licence or other proof of identity.


When you transfer the registration into your name, you will have to pay the following fees:

  • Registration transfer fee
    • if you are transferring the registration for a motorised wheelchair, you will not have to pay the transfer fee.
  • Pay any vehicle registration duty applicable—duty is calculated on the dutiable value which is the greater of either the
    • market value of the vehicle
    • or
    • the total consideration payable for the vehicle (including GST if applicable).

      You can calculate the duty payable on your vehicle, on the duty calculator.

      There is no vehicle registration duty payable on the transfer of registration of a trailer, caravan or motorised wheelchair.

  • If you bought the vehicle from someone who had concessional registration and you don’t have a concession, you may have to pay the difference between the concessional registration and standard registration for the remaining period of registration.

Selling heavy vehicles

If you’re selling a Queensland-registered heavy vehicle that’s part of the National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme maintenance module and the vehicle will not continue to be in the scheme, you will need to get a certificate of inspection before you can transfer it.

Visit the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator website for information on adding or removing a vehicle from your fleet.

Moving your vehicle to Queensland

Check how to change your interstate registration if you move to Queensland or buy a vehicle already registered in Queensland.

Is your new vehicle really yours?

Check the Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) if you're buying a used vehicle.

The search will give you a complete history of the vehicle and will let you know if anyone apart from the seller has a security interest in the vehicle.

Do you get an exemption from paying vehicle registration duty?

Families, vehicle dealers, businesses and charities are exempt from paying duty when you transfer a vehicle.

Find out if you can get an exemption.

Last updated
8 June 2016

Page feedback

  1. How satisfied are you with your experience today? *